PDA

View Full Version : Lights

Pogo
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Forgot to mention in my last post that I have put some lights on the buggy.I have 2 running lights each with a 55 watt bulb. Each bulb pulls about 4.6 amps for a total of 9.2 amps. They run indepentent from my daytime running lights. Will my stator handle that kind of drain. I put a volt meter on the battery and with the two 55 W on by themselves the stator could only maintain 11 and a bit volts. So that means they are running partly on the battery and the stator is running wide open. How long will that last. Putting a bigger battery in will help, maybe. Let me know. Thanks

BuggyMaster
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
We have a single 55w on the Helix but run with a 12bs battery instead of the 9bs. Been running like that for at least a year.

Pogo
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Don't know what I was useing yesterday to measure my voltages but to day everythng is tickady poo. I was going to use a digital volt meter I bought off E Bay to monitor my voltage. It was a nice small one. Electronic. Any way when I hooked it up everything whent caputts.Turn the key on and the starter engaged. I mean what can you do wrong,negative is negative and positive is positive. I got readings off it for a while till I turned the key on and the thing tried to start. A couple minutes later it was toast.Went today to Princess Auto got a nice analog one. Works perfect. Tested all my voltages with a volt ohm meter and everything is fine. I get a little over 13 volts with both running lights on. About the same with my day time running lights. If I turn everything on it drops just a little under 12 volts. So I think everything is ok. I want to get a bigger battery or double up with what I have.The analog one is giving me correct readings and looks good. Have to nail everything together to morrow. Will send some pictures of my new lights and new dash.

SYCARMS
08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I believe your buggy has a 6 pole stator. As long as you don't run all the lights at once you'll be OK. Running all at once will put a huge load on the stator and shortening its life. TOM

Pogo
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks Tom. As usual you are right. I put a volt meter in the dash to monitor the output of the stator. When I run my bright lights it does not seem to load the system to much. (not as much as I thought) When I run my original equipment daytime running lights it seems to put more of a load on the stator but still ok. If I run with both sets of lights on the stator cannot keep up. So I run whith one or the other sets on and that is perfect for me. I don't know what kind of bulbs are in the lights the buggy came with,(I think they are standar filament bulbs) but the lights I put on are Holigen and they may draw less power.