PDA

View Full Version : Manco Dingo help

Rockvegas
08-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I bought a early 90's Manco Dingo the other day and I just replaced the engine with a 6.5 hp from HF. I had to scoot the engine back and redrill holes and fab a bracket to mount the engine. By doing this I think I put too much weight on the rear and made the frontend too light. I am having a problem steering. I thought about maybe mounting a weight on the front. I could use any suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

Kartjet52
08-14-2010, 09:07 PM
How come the HF 6.5 didn't bolt right up, do they not have a standard go cart bolt pattern and what type motor did you have on the Manco?

I ask because I'm on the verge of buying one since they dropped to $110. I was hoping it would bolt right up to my Yerf dog.

Maybe i'm missing something here:suspect:

metalstudman1
08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Here's an opinion- Do you think the frontend is light because when you turn the wheel it still goes straight?Big rear tires +short frame+tiny front tires= crappy steering!!. Also most Dingo's came with engines larger than the 6.5hp that's what made them a Dingo!!! I doubt you could've slid the engine TOO far back to create an extremely lighter than normal frontend. The only real cure for the non-responsive steering is to buy a differential axle (Northern Tools),add larger more aggressive front tires. Hope this helps-
Dingo's have a very solid frame for a non-suspension kart.

Rockvegas
08-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Kartjet52, I took off a 5 hp B&S engine. The bolt pattern is standard but the way the HF engine is made the gas tank hits the back of my seat because it's a "bulkery" engine. I had to scoot the engine back roughly 4 inches to remove slack in the chain and give me room to pull start the engine. As far as the HF engine...so far I love it. I unboxed it, filled it with oil and gas and it started on the second pull. Seems to have lots of power and the throttle was easy to rig up with ideas courtsey of youtube.

Metalstudman1, yes, yes and yes. When I bought the cart they must have repaced the engine. After putting the model/type/code in B&S website I found out it was a 5hp 1994 model engine. I'll look into the axel and tires. Thanks for the suggestions!