PDA

View Full Version : Hi from BC Canada

Skizee
11-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi my name is Adrian I am a CNc machinist CAd/Cam designer. I just joined to find a little information about the gy6 reversing external gear box. I do not have a buggy but we want to try a gy6 motor in the drive unit that we have designed. The engine rotation is opposite to what we require thus the question about the gy6 reversing gear. The link below is a vid of our new winter toy in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaiI5NyZ5A

Cheers, Adrian

olderthan
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
welcome to the group
gy6 with ext reverse is a 3 to 1 ratio
in foward its 1 to 1 ratio

Skizee
11-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the reply very much appreciated, I thought it strange that reverse would be one to one but just checking, I guess I may be able make it up in the final drive to the front drive shaft with sprocket size. Due to the wrong rotation of the gy6 for what we need I may have to consider a diff engine, that kinda sux because theres so many aftermarket performance parts for the gy6 thats why we were checking into it.

Cheers Adrian

metalstudman1
11-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Cool toy! is your power plant mounted backwards in the track unit?

Skizee
11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanx, It is a lot of fun, great if you dont have a ski hill nearby. We currently use a 6 1/2 hp utility motor and found it ok for flat trails and a slight grade, Depending on your weight, ability, kind of skis, and snow conditions determines the top speed. On harder packed icy snow on flat ground we clocked it at 30 kph. We decided an increase in power would be needed, the speed of the unit is ok but to be able to fly up a hill 6 1/2 hp is not enuff. We have decided to try and use a gy6 but the rotation of the output shaft is in the wrong direction. We are not sure if we used a gy6 with reverse, if it would run for a prolonged period in reverse and also the reverse gear ratio may also be a problem. We may have to use an additional gear on a jack shaft, off the output shaft to change rotation.

Thanx, Adrian