PDA

View Full Version : Hi - 1 down - 1 to go

blakjak3000
12-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi all,
So I have undertaken a bit of a project to say the least :biglaugh:

I bought 2 buggies from ebay. 1 small one and 1 er big one :p

The small one resembles a hammerhead (which was a 50cc) and the big one is a Sahara (Kinroad?) with a GY6 engine not sure engine size yet.

You will notice the GX200 engine on the back of the small one ;)

Here is the before pictures:

And here is the small one as it is now:

The Engine was completely seized so needed a complete tear down (and I removed the Governor at the same time).....
The springs had faded so resprayed them, the whole frame was powder coated white :p (Its for my 10 year old nephew)....
The clutch had rusted so I got a maxtorque clutch (and a new chain)...
The Engine needed realigning so had to re-drill the engine mounts....
The Seat had been chewed by a dog so a new one is on the way :)....
The Brake cable and throttle cable had snapped, so made 2 new cables....
The tyres had punctures so put innertubes inside them :S....
The petrol tank was in the way of the suspension travel, so moved it above....

That is only the small one. I am just embarking on the big one, and have only just worked out it is a GY6 engine. The ignition system and switch looks destroyed, so if anyone has any advice how to get her started with just a battery in the meantime that would help LOADS!!!!I thought I should also say hi as I have already looked at the wiring diagram someone posted, so I imagine I'll be on here a bit!

Hopefully see some of you around the forums :D

olderthan
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
welcome to the group

sgt_ic3m4n
12-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I just took apart the ignition switch on my Punisher yesterday while trouble-guessing a starting/spark issue. On mine I took off the 3 wires from the back of the start switch and just touched 2 of them together. That engaged the starter and the engine would turn over. The start switches go out a lot on these buggies from what I've learned and will most often be the cause of "will not start" "will not crank" or "will not spark"

That's all I got, hope it helps.

p.s. don't electrocute yourself in the process!

BuggyMaster
12-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Generally speaking you have a hot wire coming from the battery. When the switch is in the On position, it provides power to the rest of the machine. This wire is usually Red. You have one wire that is in fact the power being sent back when in On and one wire that will engage the starter motor. May be others but at the very least you should have those.

That little one looks like it has an actual honda engine on it. Those are fantastic engines. A lot of guys will put them on the frame of a bicycle and make it motorized.

blakjak3000
12-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the info. Someone else posted on another post too, I ended up pulling the back of the ignition switch barrel off to see what contacts and hence what wires are connected.
There are indeed 3 that need connecting and translated to all except ground and kill switch :-D

The little buggy is pretty quick, and as it snowed here the other day my gf took her for a test drive (I don't fit being 6ft)... The maxtorque clutch is new and makes a lot of noise and heat....i read somewhere you need to run them in? Should they get super hot? And when the buggy was wedged in the snow (or the wheels are under any load when about to move) the clutch doesn't seem to translate the power from the engine? Any ideas or will that get better as I run the clutch in?

Regards and thanks
JB

blakjak3000
12-03-2010, 03:25 AM
I just took apart the ignition switch on my Punisher yesterday while trouble-guessing a starting/spark issue. On mine I took off the 3 wires from the back of the start switch and just touched 2 of them together. That engaged the started and the engine would turn over. The start switches go out a lot on these buggies from what I've learned and will most often be the cause of "will not start" "will not crank" or "will not spark"

That's all I got, hope it helps.

p.s. don't electrocute yourself in the process!

thanks for the heads up..... Do you reckon its worth replacing the ignition switch with a 3 pole 3 throw push button? There is no risk of theft....well not yet anyway :-P

sgt_ic3m4n
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
thanks for the heads up..... Do you reckon its worth replacing the ignition switch with a 3 pole 3 throw push button? There is no risk of theft....well not yet anyway :-P

In the event you are completely sure there would be no risk of theft, or risk of a young person stumbling upon the buggy and running something over, or worse, injuring themselves, putting a push button in would just be a preference thing. I contemplated it myself, but I do have a 5 year old and I don't want him to be able to start it up at will, he's a smart kid, but there's always that incessant human need to push buttons and see what they do!!!

If you like it, do it.