PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my first go kart at 25, need help

jlaudio_talon
01-14-2011, 08:52 PM
I just bought a used 2007 Carter Talon with a 150cc engine. The parking brake cable is broken, the reverse cable is broken, the gas pedal gets stuck at about 75% throttle and I have to pull it back with my foot. I assume the return spring on the gas pedal is bad. I was wondering where I can find these parts? The carter website says they had a fire and it will be awhile before they rebuild. I can still drive it but I would love to have the throttle return to idle and have the ability to reverse.

This little Kart is sooooo much fun as is and it runs fantastic! I just need a few parts and ill be good to go. I just don't know where to get the "RIGHT" parts.

Any help would be great! :D

olderthan
01-14-2011, 09:12 PM
on most gy6 the return spring is only on carb itself spray w/wd40 see if this helps
if not take cable loose from gas petal raise up spray w/wd40 or silicone spray down into
housing

jlaudio_talon
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
on most gy6 the return spring is only on carb itself spray w/wd40 see if this helps
if not take cable loose from gas petal raise up spray w/wd40 or silicone spray down into
housing

Thanks for the info. I looked at the gas pedal and there is a spring inside the base where the pedal attaches to the frame. I am new to this but I am use to working on cars/trucks/lawnmowers/nitro RC trucks. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and try some pb blaster on it.

GX150
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
You should be able to use the parts off a Hammerhead 150 to fix your Carter.

jlaudio_talon
01-15-2011, 01:43 AM
So where is the best place to find parts for that? I am good at finding things on eBay but I cant seem to find much for my kart. I did find a shift cable that I think will work. That leaves the parking brake (not very important) and the gas pedal. It also has a broken tail light lens and the front right signal is broken but that stuff is not too important considering I never get near the road or other riders. I still want to fix everything though. Its such a cool little kart. Ive only driven it a little and it was14 out when I did but I didn't want to stop. Even with the problems and the cold!

olderthan
01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/ATV-Parts-/43962/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C39%253A1&_nkw=go%20kart&_dmpt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_pgn=1 this is the ebay section i use-if it doesent work go into atv parts/go karts

BuggyMaster
01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
SYCPowersports (click banner at top of this page) should be able to get those parts as well. A lot of that stuff can be universal so you don't just have to get Carter branded parts to put back on. Welcome to the hobby. You'll find that it is a lot of fun.

SYCARMS
01-15-2011, 11:12 PM
If possible e-mail me pics of the reverse cable of both ends as well as the brake cable. I should be able to fix you up . And welcome to the addiction.

Tom

jlaudio_talon
01-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Addiction is an understatement! I spent hours dirving it yesterday. PB blast did help with the sticking throttle. I sprayed it all over the base of the gas pedal. I think if I replace the cable it will fix it 100%. I wish I had reverse that's for sure! I had to get out and push it back a few times. I found a shift cable for $16.00 I still need the parking brake cable. I CANT WAIT for above freezing weather! I will try to get pictures soon. I was going to do that yesterday but I just couldn't stop driving it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

jlaudio_talon
01-16-2011, 07:44 AM
SYCPowersports (click banner at top of this page) should be able to get those parts as well. A lot of that stuff can be universal so you don't just have to get Carter branded parts to put back on. Welcome to the hobby. You'll find that it is a lot of fun.

I have an ad blocker so I cant see that banner. I don't know how to disable it either.

jlaudio_talon
01-16-2011, 08:07 AM
If possible e-mail me pics of the reverse cable of both ends as well as the brake cable. I should be able to fix you up . And welcome to the addiction.

Tom

I was looking at your website and I saw you have a lot of engine modification parts. It does not say what brand kart they are for. Do you have those parts for a lot of different makes and models? I might be interested in some if you can get them for my Talon. Also can you install the engine parts I buy? What would you charge for labor? I might be interested in a big bore/head/stroker crank/cam/carb/cdi/coil on mine this summer. I know that seems like a lot all at once but I figure you should get it all done at once instead of tearing it all apart every time you want a little extra power. I have plans to tear it down this summer and paint it anyway so that would be a good time to upgrade. I will try to get pics of the ends of the cables so I can get those from you soon. Let me know on the other things.

jlaudio_talon
01-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Here are pictures of before I bought it.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3223/2989/33056494001_medium.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3223/2989/33056494002_medium.jpg

SYCARMS
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Your Carter has the GY-6 engine. I have plenty of parts. I do rebuilds as well. You can either e-mail me @ <tom@sycpowersports.com> or call me @ 662-301-1563 and we can discuss what kind of performance you are looking for be it trail riding or climbing .

Tom

Sockman
01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Welcome aboard. Mansfield, huh? I have friends in Farmer City and LeRoy. You must be an Illini fan! I-L-L

jlaudio_talon
01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I am more into hockey than any other sport. I lived in Alabama during my teen years so the only football I follow is Alabama CrimsonTide. When we lived in Bellflower we had an Illini painted room and we painted it in Crimson Tide colors. You must know about the mini offroad park near Bellflower on 54 then. That place is a lot of fun! I even take my truck there even though its made more for ATVs and bikes.

BuggyMaster
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
That's not a bad looking machine really. We have bought plenty that looked much worse.

jlaudio_talon
01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks I have more pictures. You really cant see much in those. They were taken by the PO. I paid more than I wanted to for it but I wasn't the only one looking at it. Someone I know wanted it so I ended up paying $500 and picking it up before the other guy could even go look at it. It runs good and isnt too rusty. The only rust is on the rack behind the gas tank and it will be easy to sand blast away. I am going to paint it this summer but not 100% sure what color yet.