PDA

View Full Version : Manco ez rider

SIKE00
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Question for all of you, sorry might be long. I bought this cart used and it is jerky in the acceleration dept. The belt seems to be way too loose. Probably 1 inch gap between belt and the drive pulley(one on motor), so I cleaned the drive pulley assembly but cant figure out how to adjust the belt tension. When I loosen the four bolts underneath the motor the motor and the "driven/sprocket" pulley, move together keeping the distance between the two pulleys always the same. I would think there would be a way to lock down the sprocket/driven pulley and then move the motor forward to adjust the tension on the belt but there is no way to do it that I can see. The only thing I can think of is someone put in a homemade motor plate without the extra adjustment in it. Like the plate needs to be in two pieces so the driven/sprocket pulley can be bolted down for chain tension, then move the motor forward to adjust belt tension. But everything moves as one unit on this cart. Just wondering if I'm thinking correctly on this that I need to cut the plate in two. Thanks for your help and if anyone has pics of hows theres adjusts would be greatly appreciated as my 10yr old daughter is getting really anxious to ride this. I figure its something simple, I just cant find it yet...
Thanks

6.5 Robin motor
30 series torque converter setup.
not sure if it matters, but rear tires have scorpions on them, probably just the brand of tire though....

SIKE00
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Anything??????

BillyBarlow
02-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I ran into the same problem today with my granddaughters cart. I could not figure out how to slide the engione forward to tighten the belt without sliding the sproket at the same time. I am sure noone made a custom bracket for your cart. I bought this one new and it is exactually like you say your is. If you find out anything, please email me.

bam41
02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
What type of buggy do you have? I see the motor and torque conv. in you signature.

metalstudman1
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry about the slow response. Can you post a pic of your CVT system? The TAV system has everything on a plate that bolts to the engine and modification would be extensive Check post #14 http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039
for the most common adjustment plate for the driven pulley. The first pic is a Tomberlin part.

SIKE00
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
its a Manco EZ Rider, its an older cart I bought used, but has the shocks in the front and the back, its nothing like some of these carts I have seen on here but good for a 10yr old girl. Would just like to be able to drive it without getting whiplash. Here is a link to it, but of course mine is a older model

http://www.*****************/dngo5.htm

SIKE00
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
@Metalstudmna1,
My setup is like the first pic on post 14 you linked to, Except the plate goes the whole length under the motor. I'm thinking about taking the motor off, cutting the plate in two, elongating the slots for the bolts then I would be able to adjust chain and belt tension independently of each other. I even went on the website that has the cart and read through everything and it says to move the engine forward to adjust belt tension, but the whole assembly moves as one, so I dont understand that, especially since when they are having you measure Center Distance between the two pulleys to know which belt you need, how can you do that and have a constant/fixed measurement to select a belt if you can change the Center Distance,,,stuff just isnt adding up in my logical/illogical mind. But I'm new to carts, I have built many a drag race car so I have the skill set just need to figure it out. My first gocart when I was a kit was a 3hp cart with a fiberglass body of a 18 wheeler Truck, The "Bandag Bandit II",, still have the cart and the body. Have a 5hp Raptor Jr. drag race motor were working on to put in it for the fun of it....hahaha

metalstudman1
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Posting a pic of your kart' would be sooo helpful.There was a learning curve for me as wellI raced/built just about everything and it didn't make sense to me either.Having a fixed dimension for the belt is the most common configuration.The driven in the #14 post went completely under the motor and the part not shown does have slots. I drilled additional holes over time as the part was used on other type karts. The belts are designed to have a small amount of slack when installed by pulling the clutch bell and sliding the belt over the bushing on the crankshaft.You mention whiplash-many things can cause this-incorrect belt size of course, weak/stretched springs in the clutch,weights wore down,rough pulley surface,the lack of dry lube, bushing missing on crankshaft. The driven unit can have the same issues as well. We can definitely get your CVT working correctly.

SYCARMS
02-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I have worked on a few old yerfs and manco's and there was no belt adjustment. If the belt stretched you replaced it. The belt did not set tight like the gy6, they had more play. We can be of better help if you send some pics of the unit.

Tom