PDA

View Full Version : yerf dog takes off when starting????

bigtort
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi guys, im new here and new to go carts as well. Any insite would be greatly appreciated. I just got a yerf dog 3205 with a tecumseh 6.5 power sport. I am having a couple of issues and not sure what is the main problem. I am having an issue with the cart trying to take off or pull away when you try to start it. I tried to placed it against the side of my garage and it would start burning the belt against the pulley. I have placed it on jack stands and now i only seem to be able to keep it running if i hold the throttle at least half to full open. I took the float bowl off the carb and it looks pretty covered in build up on the bottom of the bowl. Since, i can't keep it running i cant tell if its because it won't idle and i have to rev it up which in turn engages the torque converter. I am under the impression that if i could get it to idle then the torque converter wouldn't engage and the cart should sit still when you start it. I know the carb is going to have to be at a minimum cleaned if not rebuilt. But is there a way to see if the torque converter is functioning properly? Or any other ideas? :banghead:

Bootboy1488
05-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Definitely clean the carb. Try taking the belt off, then starting it to watch the torque converter

bigtort
05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Ok thanks i will try that and update.

bigtort
06-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok... I removed the carb and float bowl, took carb cleaner and cleaned all the junk out. It didn't seem to help still wouldn't run on its own. So, I ran the adjustment screw in about 3 turns and that did the trick. Now it idles without cutting off and the torque converter doesn't engage until you rev up the motor.

However, now that i can ride it, it engages the torque converter then seems to lag untill a much higher rpm and then with a hard engagment takes off. I believe it may need to have the motor moved back to increase tention on the belt. Once I have moved the motor back I will update again. Any other ideas?

Jump
06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
You might also want to look at the torque converter and belt condition. It might need cleaning and lubrication. The front part attached to the engine controls the engagement from idle. The spacing from the driver to driven is also important. Here's a link that will give you some information. You most likely have a Comet Tav 30 on your cart

http://www.*****************/tcbelts.htm

gunluvinfull
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Take the driven clutch apart and check which hole the green spring is in. in hold 3 it leaves the converter in low longer for hill climbing and stuff. hole 2 is about for avearge riding and hole 1 engages it into high gear right after take off. I also have had the spring come out of the hole before also. when you put it back together be sure to preload the spring 1/3 of a turn. you can also get stiffer spring for it too.