PDA

View Full Version : can any help

BOBBY28
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
hello i have a yerf-dog 3202 can some one help me with stering.my problem is that my tires are camberd in ward and when i turn the stering wheel my tires hit the frame. im confused big time i have tryed everthing i can think of :mad::mad:

lonniehall72@yahoo.com
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
It would be much easier if thier were pics

BOBBY28
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM
i will get them up then

metalstudman1
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Without seeing your kart I can tell you that your shocks are wore out! The stock shocks were only designed for about 160lbs worth of passengers.

BOBBY28
06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
if you say my shocks are wore out then what shocks can i get for my cart that will work for 2 ppl to ride in it ??

BOBBY28
06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
here is the pics i have sorry if these is too many pics i will delete them if so and thx for trying to help me out

BOBBY28
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
more pics sorry

BOBBY28
06-02-2011, 01:29 PM
some more sorry

BuggyMaster
06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
great job on the pics. What kind of buggy is that? (brand)

metalstudman1
06-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I can see it's a Yerfdog #3202. Good amount of close-up pics!!! Try and get someone to shot a pic with you sitting in it & one without you in it. Can't really tell what's going on without seeing the front stance with both front tires in the pic at the same time. Need to see the droop!!! Shock replacement is all about finding something close to the same length. Depending on how far it sags I may be able to suggest a very cheap shock alternative.

SYCARMS
06-03-2011, 07:14 AM
It appears that the left tierod is bent which will make a toe in adjustment impossible. Toe in should be about 14" in. Post a pic of the whole front end with steering wheel centered. I believe it to be grosely toed out which will not only cause hard steering but your problem as well.
TOM

BOBBY28
06-03-2011, 11:51 PM
ty you tom i will do that as soon as i get time bobby

SYCARMS
06-04-2011, 01:51 AM
I just realised in my last post I stated toe in should be 14" this should be 1/4"
TOM

metalstudman1
06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I just looked at your pics again and a few things show up- adjust your shocks to the stiffest position. Also I see where the passenger A-arm has been hitting the frame and put small dents in them. Next you need to do a little corrective adjustments to the steering arms,(have someone near your weight or put weight in the seat) on the passenger side lenghten the steering arm by about a 1/2" then align the passenger tire with the frame and then adjust the drivers side tire. This will help with the passenger tire rubbing the frame and the turning radius. When your sitting in the kart (after the shock adjustment) the A-arms should still be pointed downward to the tires. If the A-arms are level or pointing upwards the shocks aren't stiff enough.

BOBBY28
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
metalstudman1 but that is confussing to me too understand im new too the go carting is ther any outher way you can explain that better to me ??

metalstudman1
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Which part is confusing you?

BOBBY28
06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
its the corrtctive adjustments i get about the shocks and if the shocks are not stiff enough what shocks would you say to get? i want my cart so that i can use it this is pissing me off

metalstudman1
06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Patience!!! We'll get you going, You still need to post the pic's of the whole front-end at one time. Those pictures will tell us most everything that we need to make the correct suggestions. Get pics like I asked for in post #10

SYCARMS
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Ditto post some pics of the front of the buggy. Getting pissed only makes things worse be patient, as stated above we'll get you on the right track.
TOM

BOBBY28
06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
ok sorry it took me so long for the pics you guys asked for but here they are hope it works

metalstudman1
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanx!!! Couldn't tell if you'd adjusted the shocks yet ( use a pair of channel locks to turn the adjuster) but the front end doesn't look too bad. Now for the part that confused you!!! Put your friend in the seat for this: Align the drivers side tire with the cockpit frame rail (outside tube on the floor) To do this easy just find a small pipe/straight edge about 4' long and put it beside the frame rail to get the inside of the tire parallel. Now go to the passenger side, loosen the 2 jam nuts against the female heims on the steering arms. Turn the arm to get that tire lined up with the frame rail same as you did on the drivers side. A small amount of inward/toe in is okay.Now I want you to stand on the frontend and bounce!!! pay attention to the movement of the tires. If the tires toe in too far or toe out too much you can make adjustments to get somewhere in the middle thru the suspension travel. Just so you know -the trait of of a single A-arm is toe in and toe out as they travel up and down, where as a double A-arm tends to camber in and out versus toe in/toe out

BOBBY28
06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
ty metalstudman1 i will do that this week and let you know what i get

BOBBY28
06-07-2011, 06:44 PM
well that did not help me any at all im thinking my a arms are bent is ther anyone that has a yerf 3202 that can get me mesments of the arm.and if so the ones i need is for the spindles

metalstudman1
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't see enough bend or camber to be causing serious problems. Is it possible your expectations of a single A-arms frontend is unrealistic? Is the only issue that the tires rub?

BOBBY28
06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
hello metalstudman1 your thought that my expectations might be unrealistic. but i dont think i should need a corn feild to turn my cart in eather right ? or im i roung there about that

SYCARMS
06-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Yerf dogs always need a cornfield to turn around in. Just the way they were designed. As far as rubbing I have the spiderbox and my tires don't rub but your front tires look wider than mine do but that just may be the picture. Also from the first set of pics your left tierod looks bent and one control arm looks a bit twisted, but only you can tell for sure by observing and comparing side to side to see if one or the other is twisted. If the tie rod is bowed then your wheels will be pitched (toed out) and this can cause rubbing but again only you for sure can tell if their bent. Tierods must be strait. But the large turning radious if the norm for thre yerf dog, this is why I could never understand what people saw in them. Besides the turn radious the ride is something else. If when you bought it you had all your teeth you will probably need a full set of dentures in 5 years. But that is one opinion for it seems the people who own them love them and I never could see why. Just look over the front end really good and if a tierod is bent or control arm twisted then I would purchase new ones. Buggy depot is the place for yerf dog parts.
TOM

GX150
06-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Duplicate Entry

GX150
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
His is not a GY6 Spiderbox model. This is an industrial engine with single a-arms. Buggy Depot will not be able to help with parts. The best source will be Kart Mart, BMI Karts or American Power Sports.

BOBBY28
06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
ty all for the help i will look over everthing so i will alwas need a cornfeld to turn this yerf in then correct ? or is ther something i can do to make it turn better ????

metalstudman1
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
with go-kart steering about the only thing you can do: on the spindle where the tie rod attaches (steering arm) drill a hole closer to the spindle, moving the connection closer to the pivot point will make for more turning (try 1" to start with), You may have to lengthen the steering column to get the steering arms re-aligned. Does this make sense? Do you have access to a welder? If so- you could reangle the steering arms-which is the preference to really get some turning radius. If you can't find a narrower tire then extending the spindles would be needed- you'd need a welder for this too. I've owned several of this model Yerfdog and had to make small changes to the frontend same as I just suggested to get it to turn in our tight trails- Didn't keep them long because the steering geometry changes so much during shock travel it wasn't managable for my kids and their guests. Good luck on whatever you decide to do-We're still here to help

SYCARMS
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Your tires really look wide on the front, maybe it just seems that way in the pic. My spider box has 15X6.00-8 front tires. You may have oversize tires on the front and this could be why their hitting the frame. You might also try reversing the rims on the rear, this may work depending on the offset of the wheel. If too deep of an offset then the tire will hit the frame. If this can be done you will decrease a bit of the turn radious for it will eliminate some of the push on the front tires due to the solid rear axle. However you will sacrifice some stability making the buggy easier to tip.
TOM

Pogo
06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Hate to but in. But if you have a really close look at the lower controll arms you will notice that they may be on the wrong side. If some one has had the front end apart you could easily put those lower controll arms back on on the wrong side. Have a close look at them. The spindle bracket is welded to the controll arm back of centre on both controll arms.Also the controll arms appear to be angled back to ward the frame. If you pull the spindles out and swap around the lower controll arms I bet you will have a ton of room between the wheels and the frame. Also the shocks will sit at a better angle giving you a better ride. Thats what I see looking at those pictures. Later

Pogo
06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
PS
Look at those shocks again. They are pointing backwards.Won't do much for your ride that way. In my way of thinking they should be straight or angled slighty ahead for better shock absorption and handleing.Just a Canucks opinion. Later

gunluvinfull
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Has brand new shock mounting bracketts you weld on, same as you have but with 3 holes like the stock 3203, for the yerf dog 3203 with 3 holes to adjust toe in thes would help you. also i se your tie rod looks like a dogs back leg. :) may help you
also ypu can "slightly" notch the spindles or the 45 degree angle on the a arm frame so the spindle overtravels and does not bottom out against the welded in piece on the a arm.

metalstudman1
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
POGO-"But if you have a really close look at the lower controll arms you will notice that they may be on the wrong side."
Unfortunately if you reverse the control arms that would put the shock bracket on the front side, shocks are mounted on the rear of the A-arm.-I agree the spindles could be on the wrong side, If I remember for ours there was a small difference between them.

yerftexas
06-11-2011, 01:19 PM
bobby i have a 3202 yerf that i ride same problem this kart is not made for a 220lb adult
i've found that harley springs are 12"- 13" and are alot stiffer you can find them on cl all the time for 50 bucks. this will help alot

gunluvinfull
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I am thinkin now"for a change" LOL but what about skinner tires and longer spindles, spaced out farther on the spindle? Just trying to help. :)

BOBBY28
06-12-2011, 03:07 PM
ty guys for all the help im thinking about adding a lawn tractory front end on the yerf that will make my stering alot better and i bought new shoks no change new tierod ends and no chage

Pogo
06-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Medalstudman 1
Yea the brackets would be on the front.But if you look at the way they are mounted now the shocks appear to be tilted back. If you swing the A arms around I think there would be lots of room to mount the shocks and they would be tilted forward in a much better position. Hard to really tell though unless you are actually looking at the machins in person. I think fixing the front end thats on there now is a lot easier than trying to swing it over to a lawn mower front end. Too many alignment a stance problems as well as spindle and bearing that were made to go at not much more than walking speed.Later

BOBBY28
06-13-2011, 05:07 AM
maybe so but it is worth a shot im not runing anything by trying it

Jump
06-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Bobby28,

My kids have same kart and I just replaced a broken spindle, so here are some suggestions. Yerf must have changed design over years, because ours is very different. Our spindles are stepped and a-arms are different. Ours have 3 holes to select from when mounting shock to a-arm, to allow for camber adjustment, yours dosn't.

Anyway here are some thoughts:

1. Your camber really looks OK to me, but because of the single a-arm design, will likely change a lot dependant on weight in cart. Only way to easily change that without the multiple mounting holes is to adjust the shocks. I think you would need to juryrig a spring compressor to unload the spring to rotate the adjuster (I've never done it so cannot tell you how). That's all I can offer you on the camber. It truly looks fine to me and will effect tire wear, but not make the tire hit the frame.

2. The a-arm should not be able to be pushed back at all toward the frame if you push the tire back to the frame. If yours does you need to tighten up the two long bolts where the a arms attach to the frame at the front center of the cart. It should be loose enough to pivit up and down, without any front to back movement towards the frame. The design on ours puts the tires within a 1/2 inch of the frame when steering is fully turned.

3. Our tires are pushed out just a tiny bit further than yours. Your spindle has 1 washer, a spacer, another washer and then the tire/rim. Ours has 2 washers, a spacer, the tire/rim a washer and then the nylon lock nut. That will clear frame a bit more. It's also a lousy design as the nut literally comes out to the last thread on the spindle - a very scary design. We bought it used, so that's how ours is to just clear the frame. Not sue if that's how it left factory, but wheels have not fallen off in 4 years - so guess it's OK.

4. As mentioned by another member - your tire rod is bent. You might want to take it off and hammer straight. Should do, but not likely causing any issues. Our tie rods are mounted to the spindles from the top, not the bottom like yours. Likely just a difference in the spindle design change, but thought I'd mention it. Also be sure to adjust tie rods to even out turning to both sides, although I assume you have already done that.

5. Lastly tire size on ours is 15 x 6.00 x 6. Might want to check that as if someone put tires too big on your it will definately hit frame as the design will put the tire very close to frame.

Hope that helps some.

Jump
06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
One other quick thought - If you really want to be able to change the camber angle easily and can weld, BMI Karts does sell the 3 hole shock mount. They are good people for Yerf dog parts, but thier shipping is a bit high for single items. They also sell lots on ebay.

Heres a link:

http://www.*************/item/Shock-Mounting-Brackets-010012-5940

here's what it looks like on the a arm

http://www.*************/item/Right-A-Arm-for-Yerf-Dog-Go-Karts-5380

Jump
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Also thinking your explanationation of your problem may be confusing, You are talking about a camber issue. Your camber looks good from the pics. You have a toe in issue and that should be correctable by straightening out the tie rod and adjusting the tie rods. Guess I should read other posts better before replying.

BOBBY28
06-17-2011, 12:13 AM
ty you jump im still playing around with it to get it right i will let you know how i make out and post pics

BOBBY28
06-20-2011, 03:02 PM
im back can anyone get me the dimension of the a arm for the yerf thx.and can someone tell me if ther is supposed to be slope in the arm wher the 5/8 bolt gose through the spindle ?

metalstudman1
06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
What model Yerf do you need A-arm dimension from? Just for reference here's a pic of one of ours a few years back with the front end set-up for about 160lbs worth of riders(2 kids) Notice how wide your tires are in comparison.

BOBBY28
06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
its a 3202 metalstudman1 do you know if the it is ok for the sloppy nes to be in the bolt for the spindle ? and ty for trying to help me

metalstudman1
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
It's actually a 3203, the difference in it to the 3202 is color. Slop in the spindles isn't normal or in the A-arms.There was about 6 or 7 models of this style Yerfdog made- they all used the same cockpit,front suspension,steering and rear axle. The seat and rollcage was the main change and of course color.
Jump- gave you the link to where you can get replacement parts-BMI
New A-arms and spindle bolts should cure the slop in both, also provide a corrected alignment for the camber and caster issues. If you can't straighten the drivers tie-rod arm then replacement might be necessary.

Jump
06-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Hi Bobby,

I went to measure the a-arm length and its hard to measure on the kart and enough different than your setup that I think giving you a number will add more confusion than help you. Your spindle brackets are welded 90 deg to the a arm and ours are angled, so top measurement will differ from bottom measurement and likely not help you. Here are a couple bits of info that may help you. If you stand in front of the cart and point the wheels straight, the curved end of the a-arm (not including welded spindle bracket) lines up even with cart frame by eyeball. The inside edge of the tire sits out about 1.7" from the cart frame if you drew parallel lines and measured them. When I eyeball your pics that looks about where you are. Your tie rods definately need adjusting like MetalStudman said. Also like was mentioned earlier these carts have a very wide turn radius. Ours will not make a u turn around on our side road witout having to go on a curb.
These carts only have single a arms and wheel angle is all over the place dependant on weight in cart. There might be something wrong with yours, or it might be just what this cart is - it's a fun kart, but a budget design that does not have the precision steering that a double a-arm desigh would give you. Since there are always some for sale on craigslist, you might want to have a look at another one for sale, to see what it turns like, before you start replacing a-arms and spindles and putting more money into it. Yours might be worn or may just be what it is. I saw a wear mark in the paint on the corner of the frame on yours from the tire in your pics. Ours doesn't hit there if I turn the wheel, but has the same wear mark, so must ocasionally hit in use. I also checked ours and there is also no play between spindle bracket and spindle. Hope that helps some.

Jump
06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Bobby,

One other inexpensive thought. Have you checked that wheel bearings are not totally shot? If they were they could potentially add lots of front end play. If you need new ones these are less than $10 for the set of 4 shipped and will likely fit your cart - naturally check yours first to see if these would fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-GO-KART-WHEEL-BEARINGS-99502H-W-SNAP-RING-5-8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1b4d482bQQitemZ12071 7133867QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

BOBBY28
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
ty jump i will check all that out when i can i have been busy with work and no time to play.the only good thing with my kart is that it was free so any money i put in it is not that big of a deal.

gunluvinfull
06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
nuttin like a free toy eh? :)

BOBBY28
06-23-2011, 11:57 PM
you got it it was free seting along side the road wher i live so i put my bro in it and towed it home with my jeep it was some fun 4 miles to drive

gunluvinfull
06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
now that there's funny :) kinda like findin free stuff myself never got a go cart tho. LOL

gunluvinfull
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
once lifted a whole murray 16hp tractor into the trunk of my cavalier half of it hangin out and got er home. :)

Pogo
06-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Kool getting free stuff. Cept for the guys that were broke down along side the road and are still looking for there machines.LOL

Pogo
07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
No comments. If you detected a note or sarcasim in my LOL then it didn't go wasted. Later

metalstudman1
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I'll comment POGO-:biggthumpup: You read my mind and put it in print.

Pogo
07-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks medalstudm1. I guess it takes all kinds. That kind of stuff really p---es me off. Later

SYCARMS
07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
When we run across sh%$t like that in our neck of the woods we just take advantage of the castle doctorine laws and eliminate the scum. Not even worthy enough to put in a wheel chair for the rest of their life for potters field is a lot cheaper then disability, welfare and food stamps.

TOM

Pogo
07-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I agree Tom. But people like that seldom seem to get caught or get what they deserve. I am now finished talking about the jerks. Just to change the tone,all you folks south of our border have a great weekend ok. We just had ours. Later

SYCARMS
07-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Shall do, this will be the second weekend of celebration. Last weekend was the Buggy Bash and what a bash. You might want to considder trying to make it next year. It's usually the end of June, we would love to have some North of the border fellow buggy nuts.

TOM