PDA

View Full Version : Carbide 150cc Rolled and rear Brake locked

steveallman
06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone - We rolled our new Carbide and after we stopped shaking our of fear, we startedthe cart back up with no problem. The kart goes into gear fine, but will not go forward. It looks like the rear brake is fully engaged and stuck. If you give it gas it will try to go forward and if you put it in reverse it will move with a lot of resistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

metalstudman1
06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Have you checked to verify that nothings in the linkage around the master cylinder or that the plunger works freely?

steveallman
06-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi MetalStudman1 - thanks for your reply. I do not know where to check for either of those items. I did check all around the engine and related parts and did not see anything. In the rear on the passenger side, on the inside of the frame and attached to the axel is a large plate/disc that has a component attached to it. The component looks it has sometihng to do with putting pressure on the plate/disc and the cable from the brake pedel mechanism in the front it attached to it. The component is completely presses up against the disc - thus making me guess that the "rear brake is engaged". Does that help or even make sense. Should there be a space between thay component and the disc?

Pogo
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
The first thing you want to do is to get a manual for your machine and study it. It sounds like you are not very familiar with your machine and how the different components work. Have the manual with you while you are looking at the machine.Sound to me that either the braket for the rear brake cylinder is bent or the parking brake cable is holding the brake in the on position. Neither are big problems but if you don't underdstand how they work they can be difficult to fix. So read your manual. If you don't have one get one of the net.Later

steveallman
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Pogo - I obtained the manuals for the cart - the owners manual and the service manuals. I cannot find anything in them referencing the cylinder or the plunger specifically. I unhooked the chain and the rear wheels still will not turn. Does this give you any ideas of what I should check next?

Thanks again for your help!!

Pogo
07-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Try getting a parts manual.It shows you all the different parts and where they go.Should be able to get one from the same place you got the other manuals.If you have the chain off and the axle still won't turn then go to what I am thinking it is and that is the brake caliper. You should see a big round disk attached to the axle(this is the rotor) and some where on that disk you should see a clamping device.(this is your brake caliper) that fits over the the disk on both side.That devise (the caliper)should also be attached to a bracket or the fame of the machine.Look to see were the caliper is bolted to the buggy.Undo the bolts and free the caliper from the buggy frame. Then slide the caliper right off the rotor.Try not to undo any of the lines.If it is on there so tight that the axle will not turn you might have to use some force to get is to slide off the rotor.Either a pry bar or hammer.If when you get it off and the axle turns then thats your problem.There is a chance that the rotor is bent and is jammed up against the caliper.Pictures sure would help.Let me know how you make out and we will go from there. Later

metalstudman1
07-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Pogo's solution is accurate & the proper way to free your brakes if you can get the caliper off- refer to your other post on this same issue for locked or bent caliper removal.