PDA

View Full Version : Speed Mobile Help/Info???

Arcadian
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Just checking to see if anyone could give some info, or suggestions with a go-kart I recently "inherited". Just trying to find a couple websites where collectors have pictures and insight posted.
My mother-in-law has a late 50's-early 60's go-kart made by Hedstrom that she has had since she was a little girl, she’s now 65yrs old. It’s been handed around her family a few times and is now sitting in a basement for the last 35+ years and hasn’t moved. Instead of throwing it away I figured I'd try my luck with cleaning it up and possibly selling it. I'm not sure if someone would like to collect a go-kart like this, I’m new to the gokart community.
It’s been in her family for a long time and I’m not too sure if she will want to part with it.

It’s a gas powered Hedstrom Speed Mobile with solid rubber wheels, approx 1" wide. Not sure of the engine size.

I looked through the web and couldnt find any details or pictures on this kart, so I figured I’d give this forum a shot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

metalstudman1
07-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Welcome-Neat looking kart- I've never seen one like it, not even as a kid. Amazing how simple everything is on that kart.I love the handle for the belt engagemnet. Have you tried to start it?- Must of had to be fairly wealthy back then to own one!!!!

BuggyMaster
07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
man I bet you back in the day that was a heck of a great thing to have

Arcadian
07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
She did say they were the talk of their road. Ive put in approx 3 hours of searching online and cant find an article or pic of them.

I havent tried starting it yet. I just got the pictures so far. Once I get to visit I will give it a shot starting it.

If you happen to find anything please let me know. Thanks for the responses and Ill let you know once I get my hands on it....hah

kman
07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I am new to Buggy Masters and your post is old so you may not need the info but I received one of these in 1959 for Christmas. My dad bought it at a local Western Auto. I thought I was hot stuff in the neighborhood. About a year later my grandfather swapped the engine for a Clinton engine he got from a guy that raced go Karts. I would haull b__t however those hard rubber tires go eaten up every few weeks. Seeing your pics brought back a lot of good memories of those days and my Dad.

buggyhead
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Looks like a nice piece of lawn decoration, not sure I would even ride it or even let my kid ride it, dosent look too safe, put it on craigslist and you might find a collector that has been looking for one. I cant even find parts for my 2005 sunl buggy, so I don't think youll find parts for it. Cool piece just too hang in your garage or shop that's what I would do

thornhunter
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
fun looking kart,with a small motor would be good to just put around.

SK64
11-17-2018, 10:33 PM
I see this is an old post but i just acquired a 1959 Hedstrom Speed Mobile. I never saw one before and I searched for pictures and info and ended up here. From the pictures above from Arcadian, there’s a couple differences. I know he said about the motor so im figuring thats why he has a chain drive. Well here’s mine for you to see. Would anyone know how much it is worth in this condition? I want to keep it all original and hang it in my garage/mancave. Im not interested in selling it, just curious of it’s worth. Great conversation piece. Thanks