PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Insurance?

Silverback
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Hey Group,

I'm new to bug'n and all things surrounding it.

But I did my research and ended up buying a Carter 250 GTR.

Totally happy with the machine, but having troubles insuring it in Ontario Canada.

Any recommendations or companies to approach?

No one seems to have this machine in their system.

On another note, with it being a single gear....what is redline?

Thanks everyone

Cheers

GX150
07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
The GTR has a CVT, so it has multiple ratios without the manual shifting. Once you get past 9K rpm you are way past the peak horse power (7k) and torque (5.5k) curves.

Silverback
07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
To confirm, never carry it past 7k?

Thx

GX150
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
You can take it up to 9K without worry, but after 7k you are on the other side of the curves. When tuning your CVT, you want to keep your engine in the top range of your HP.

Silverback
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
To tighten the chain last night, I shifted the motor backwards as recommended...but now lost forward gear. What is the quick adjustment on this?

I'm still in basic set-up, I have got to tuning yet.

So far - fresh brake fluid and bleed, bulletin on the steering and then alignment, tighten chain, bought oil (says SAE10w30, but could only find SAE10w40 full Honda synthetic), added simple side mirrors and basic tools into the rack bag.

Thanks for your help

GX150
07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
The reverse cable is set up poorly on the GTR. When you shift the engine, it changes the distance between the cable and housing ends resulting in shift issues. You need to adjust the cable the same amount you shifted the engine.

The Hammerhead and Joyner leave the engine in place and shift the rear axle carrier to adjust chain tension.

Silverback
07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Okay - I guess I will need to look into that...and I'm not sure how much i shifted it...so it sounds like guess work

Silverback
07-14-2011, 01:02 PM
do you happen to know if i am adjusting the yoke or the entire shift lever?

Pogo
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Your gonna have trouble getting insurance up here in Canada for the buggy I'm in Ontario also.If you look around you will find an insurance company that will give it to you, but then they want all your other insurance. House car.I have been with the same insurance company for 48 years claim free and they were not going to give it to me.When I found someone who would insure the buggy they wanted all my insurance.I phone my insurance company and told them I was going to cancell them so they changed there mind and gave me the insurance for the buggy. At a really good price too.But you will have to look around to find someone. My son had the same problems but he finally found someone.So just keep looking. Later

Silverback
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
You're absolutely right, but I got it done ... finally!

Where do you ride and what do you have?

Pogo
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi. I have a 150 ASW Carbide,stock motor.I live on the south east side of Lake Simcoe.A little town called Pefferlaw aout 80 mile north of Toronto.Where do you live and ride.Let me know. I have a trailer for mine. Maybe we could get together.Like I said let me know, Later

GX150
07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
do you happen to know if i am adjusting the yoke or the entire shift lever?

I haven't looked at a GTR since May, so I do not remember the exact setup. Look at the mount for the cable housing for adjustment - If there is nothing, you should be able to adjust the cable at the shift lever for proper throw.

Pogo
07-16-2011, 04:51 PM
What are you running and where.

Silverback
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
i have a 2007 Carter 250 GTR

I live in Markham and I am familiar with Pefferlaw.

Just new, so looking for anywhere and anyone to ride with.

Guy at work rides his ATV up at Durham Forrest

I have a trailer as well...ran it up in northcumberland this past weekend

Pogo
07-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Where is Northumberland? Where did your buddy go in Durham Region? I thought all there trails were off limits to ATV and buggies. But if you can get in go for it.I know all York region forrests are off limits and they block all entrances and I have heard they pratroll them.Don't know for sure about the pratroll.I have a few places up here we can run but there is a lot of chewed up swamp here and that ain't good.But there are a few places to run.If your interested get in touch with me at ehenn@rogers.com and I will give you my phone number. My name is Ernie Henn.Did you get an ownership and plate for your machine.

Silverback
07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I can find out more about where he atv's this week at work.

I am taking the buggie up north to a cottage this weekend.

I did get plates and insurance.

Maybe we can connect for a run in the coming weeks.

Pogo
07-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Ok let me know.