PDA

View Full Version : Basic 1st build help

bigmitch747
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey i got this little go cart in a trade for what i thought was a steal.. well not really, it wont even move. The thing that sold me on it, is its a small 70 lb one person frame, with a 440cc engine! Right now my main question is welding. So i want to put a roll cage over it. Also right now the motor(snowmobile engine) sits right behind the seat, with a belt straight onto the rear axel, which is terrible and doesn't work. tomrrow i am goin to get a secondary clutch, and am ordering a chain and sprocket set off ebay for snowmobile's, so it'll fit the drive shaft coming off the secondary clutch. How ever to do this, i think i want to set the motor up, kinda above the axel, the belt will run to the secondary clutch behind my seat, with a chain that will then go to the axel ( i wont worry about suspension until this thing is at least moving) i have misc steel, but no steel plates.. what would be the best way to mount the motor up there? and as for welding, i need to get a welding kit.. im just in college right now, doing this for fun in my spare time, so not to much extra money. I just want to get a small arc welder, and ive found a couple local ones for around 50 bucks. Most are 120 volt and do about 70 amps.. but there are a few 230 volts that do 230 amps? the ad was pretty confusing.. what would be the best welder to get for this? would the small 120 volt 70 amp work for this? the 230 amp, do i plug that into 2 wall outlets? haha.. ive never used one before.. or would i need to plug that one into like a washing machine outlet? those are 240 i believe. The steel bar i have is like 1/16 inch thick.. a 70 amp can do that right? but would that be strong enough to hold a 30 hp engine up? i assume if i had enough it would be

metalstudman1
08-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Welcome!
220volt is better if you have the service for it. 120v will do the job.For the price you've quoted these are arc/stick welders- a little harder to use but will do the job.The best welder to get would be a mig welder ($$$$)
Can't believe someone put the belt directly to the axle! When you price a secondary or gearbox you'll understand why it didn't get one!!!
I'm currently building a 440 powered buggy if you want some info just go to this thread:
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2022
might be something in there for you.
Post some pics- that'll help all of us to see what you're talking about!!!

bigmitch747
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
well actually this morning i just got a secondary clutch, i have another guy who will sell me the axel for 20 bucks, i also have the chain and sprockets frrom the chain case, which on thursday, im going to check out a rear axel this guy is selling off a quad, it come with the swing arm and all the bearings, hubs ect for 100 bucks.. im goint o see if the chain drive will fit onto that axel where the old gear was. So it nows goes clutch-secondary clutch-chain-axel/wheels, which i like, and sticking a spring on the swing arm will be no problem, so i now have suspension :) so a mig welder? i know of them, but really know nothing about them.. i do know that a guy was selling one locally for 120 bucks.. but i didn't look into it, cuz just from the picture, it was huge! i dont have anywhere to store that.. but i'll read up on those.. thanks for the link!