PDA

View Full Version : new to karting

smeagol21b
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Hello everyone! Im pretty new to go karts, I have 3 right now,an old carter brothers trail buster that had belonged to my late brother(currently trying to restore),and just recently bought a Murray outrage and a yerf dog 3002 from a yardsale for 250.00 for both. The Murray is in pretty good shape and runs good, needs minor repairs like brake bands and oiled and greased, its powered by a 6hp tecumseh on one wheel only(how common is this?)I want to put an actual axle on so both rear wheels have power, i was thinking of using a steel rod to make the axle but im open to ANY ideas! The serf dog needs a little more work, same size engine as the Murray but needs the pull start replaced(cause it ain't even there! Lol) need throttle cable and a belt,this one I want to put lights for night rides, I want to put a small alternator and battery to power lights but im not sure how to do it. An old friend from the army did this with his kart and it work great. Does anyone know how?
As soon as I have time I will upload pics of my karts

metalstudman1
08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Welcome-The Murray is probably a friction clutch and chain drive-couldn't see it in the pic's-Which one wheel drive is very common for that type of clutch. Using just a steel rod for an axle isn't really going to last any length of time assuming you could find the right size to fit a bearing,hubs,brake drum or disk and sprocket holder through it correctly. By the time you cut in keyways and thread the ends you'd be better off just buying an axle and bearings w/flangettes designed for a go kart. I'm betting your buddies kart didn't have the CVT set-up that he put the alternator on- The CVT system doesn't give you a place where the belt is constant and stay in contact with the alternator drive pulley as the belt is moving between clutch and driven up and down.If I was to try and put and alternator on a kart with a CVT you'd need to see about extending a jackshaft at the driven somehow and put another pulley to drive the alternator,lots of machining assuming there is room to get it all back there.Your Yerfdog has the typical bent up steering arms and a bent spindle from the less than comfortable single A-arm suspension! Not bad for $250.

smeagol21b
08-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Ill have to look into that for the axle,as far as my buddies kart he made a bracket so the alternator stayed in contact with the belt,it was all pretty crowded. But he made it work, not sure bout the rest never paid too much attention to it(too busy wiring charges lol). Hmm maybe I could rig a solar panel and a deep cell....lol. i really want to beef up the yerf dog for making trails and rough country if I can,the Murray im still not to sure of, I took it on a longer test run...long story short went down a gravel road with a hill and had to push/drag it back up,you can probably guess why with only one wheel turning. Again any advice or ideas are welcome!