PDA

View Full Version : Steering suspension and tires

Bo Rogers
09-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi all I have some questions, and I really appreciate your advise. I live in AZ and our trails were we ride are all hard pack, rocks large and small. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old the 8 year old and I ride ATVs and we have a Manco Intuder 607-C with a 7hp Robbins engine. It's full suspension with single A arms.

My questions are:

1. Can the steering be upgraded to improve the contol and ride? Can a rack and pinion be added?

2. What size tires and rims would you add to increase the ground clearance.

3. What shocks would you recommend front and rear, it is a very hard ride with very little travel.

Thanks in advance, Bo

metalstudman1
09-03-2011, 03:18 PM
1.- you can add a rack-n-pinion to any buggy/kart (welding required).Your control on the suspension will be tougher to deal with, the traits of the single A-arm is what gives you that washed out feeling.
2. you'll have to measure the tire clearance at the front for rubbing before knowing how big the tire can increase-16"-19" height may be achievable but will probably require an 8" rim- I believe yours are 6" rims.Putting a larger tire/wheel at the front will help with the steering.
3.https://www.*************.com/item.asp?item=28-1721&catname= will probably fit and add some softer/longer travel.

Bo Rogers
09-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Metal, thanks for the reply I thought that with some welding I could add rack and pinion just wanted to get some advice.

As far as tires my front wheels are indeed 6" and I measured the clearance and turned either fully right or left I have 2" of clearance. Would or could I gain more with axle 4bolt hub adapters?

Now for shocks those would work on the front. Have you tried them, do they work well? The price is right. What about the rears would you use the same ones? They are the same length.

Thanks for the guidance. Bo

metalstudman1
09-03-2011, 09:59 PM
You really want to maintain 1" of clearance for strecthing/stress in turns. If you intend on adding the 4"x4" hubs go ahead and cut the original axle off and replace with a 3/4" dia. & longer bolt for added width, spacer for longer axle at the back of where the hub ends can be a welded washer or sleeved piece of pipe.This would allow you make any width/height tire you want and have clearance at the frame for turning.You'll need a rack with about 3-1/2" or more lock to lock to improve turning radius, and modify your steering arms assuming they'll bolt up with the rack unit.(BMI sells used Spiderbox units with the steering knuckle)
Shocks- I have them on the front of my wife's Spiderbox and they're fine (well worth the money!!!)They have about 4" of travel and are med. tension springs, smooth dampening and rebound-much better than the pogo-sticks that you have now.They'll work on the rear if the size is close-I'm guessing they can handle about 500lbs.
How much do/can you afford?I can show you pic's of our smaller Manco converted with duel A-arms.cost about $200. to convert it-It made my kids mad because you can't turn it over now and the jumps are soft with little to no air now!!!!

Bo Rogers
09-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I would love to see pics of the Manco a few hundred is no problem. I have mechanicals skills but no welding skills but thankfully my neighbor is awesome with one. I was a little confused on your description of the spindles though. Also BMI?

metalstudman1
09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/album.php?albumid=116&pictureid=1001 this is an unknown Manco model small yard kart converted!!! http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/album.php?albumid=116&pictureid=1012
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/album.php?albumid=116&pictureid=1004 These are out of my album.I made the frontend from spare parts from a Yerfdog Spiderbox I bought from BMI.
BMI.com is a go kart parts supplier.
Your front spindle has a 5/8"-3/4"bolt welded to the kingping for the hub to spin on.Making this bolt longer adds clearance for larger tires.

Bo Rogers
09-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Cool karts I see what you mean in the spindles. I really want to work out the tires/ground clearance. Thats my first step, I have a 90cc Chinese atv that I am thinking of rifling the tires and rims from. They are 4" bolt pattern and 19" x7 x 8 you think those are to big?

I'm gonna look into the spider front end. I think I saw some on eBay also.

metalstudman1
09-04-2011, 12:21 AM
That's exactly the size tires you see in the pic's.I took the whole spindle from the ATV and modified that to the Spiderbox A-arms.The E-bay ads are probably BMI.

Bo Rogers
09-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Your right about the eBay ads, BMI. I will look closer at the spindles I have on the atv and use them maybe. You've given me some great ideas and appreciate the guidance. I just want something reliable and safe for my boys. I think new shocks, widening the front and putting bigger tires could improve the ride. That's my main goal.

Bo Rogers
09-09-2011, 08:04 PM
So Metalstud, I have been researching like crazy, this is what I have come up with. From BMI buying 4x4 front hub adapters, on ebay also buying 1.5" 4x4 to 4x100 wheel spacers/adapters.

This way no need to weld, cut, or other fabrication. Just simply bolt on. Do you think this would work? It would widen the front of the kart by 3" provide the tire clearance for the 19x7x8 tires and rims I have.

I can do this all for about $120 total. I have an ATV here at home that has (4) brand new tires that I plan on using.

Thanks,

Bo Rogers
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Woops,

here are the links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Go-Kart-Cart-Front-5-8-Bearings-Wheel-Hubs-4-4-/140553964984?pt=Go_Karts&hash=item20b9ab4db8#ht_500wt_971

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapter-4x4-4x110-Spacers-1-3-Made-USA-/390343678163?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae24bd8d3#ht_2556wt_1167

metalstudman1
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks like a plan!!! You gotta work with what you have and if that works for you that's all that counts.I'm a CHEAP SKATE!!!!! It's easier for me to spend $8.00 on 2 bolts and weld but that's me!A tip on steering- the closer the steering rods are to the center of the hub the tighter the turn (also greater force on the steering components), If the steering arms/tabs on the spindle are angled towards the rear(find center of the rear axle, draw and imaginary line to each hud and that get's you close to an Ackerman set-up)that way the outer tire has a wider turning radius than the inner tire in a turn.Post some pics

Bo Rogers
09-22-2011, 11:06 PM
So this week my parts arrived for me to upgrade the tires and clearance on my Manco Intruder. So this is what I've done.

1. I was high bid on a pair of 4x4" wheel hubs from BMI on Ebay. Total cost was $30.28 with shipping.

2. Locally on Craigslist I found someone selling 4x4" to 4x110mm wheel adapters, $40 a smoking deal considering on Ebay and elsewhere on the net they were $80-$100.

3. I used two 19x7x8 I had from an ATV I bought for a $100 for spare parts for one of the chinese quads I currently own. So I really cant charge for these, they are essentially found.

I spent approximately 1.5 hours and no welding.

I am very pleased overall. I have an extra 2" of ground clearance and the cart looks a little "meaner". The only downside is the cart is a little harder to turn, but that is minor compared to the benefits.

I am just now waiting for new front shocks to improve the ride and eliminate the "Pogo Effect".

Take a look at this video on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_02BiBxqmY

Thanks again for the help and the advice. See ya around.

metalstudman1
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice job!!!Crazy deal on the spacers!!

Bo Rogers
09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
He still has 12 more if any one is interested. They are 4x4"/4x115 to 4x110mm it really is a screaming deal.