PDA

View Full Version : Video of the wife breaking her Buggy!

uthe54
09-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Good thing I've got another shaft handy!

vPNfvrzgE7g

joshstep1
09-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Oh daaaaaang!!... I think this is just further proof that women shouldn't be driving ;) hahah I'm just kidding

SYCARMS
09-20-2011, 02:59 AM
That spot looks really familar, done the same thing with my Blade. I think it was just a weak shaft from the factory.

TOM

uthe54
09-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Tom,

Would you say that jump in the video is more than what these buggies should be able to handle? I'm just wondering because that kind of driving is "fun" in my opinion, and if these things can't handle that kind of driving, then it might be time for an upgrade :D.

I brought two buggies out with us that day, and we ended up breaking both! the shaft on that one, and a couple welds on my other one. I'm in the process of re-welding the parts that broke, but I'm just curious if I should probalby just "let off" a little, or perhaps keep driving hard, breaking, and reinforcing...

SYCARMS
09-21-2011, 10:46 AM
As I stated earlier, that spot looks really familar. Both my son and I seemed to have jumped that same area. I had no problems but I do have the works shocks which make a huge difference. Night and day compared to the stock shocks is an understatement. My son on the other hand has the stock shocks so he had a more uncontrolable violent bounce. Neither of us broke anything. My son jumped it I believe 3-4 times whereas I done it a dozen or more times over the years we have been attending the Buggy Bash. Eventually something will break with stock shocks since they are not that effective when jumping. I still believe the shaft was defective to break like that especially if only a few jumps like that were made. As they say if you don't ever break anything your not having much fun you need to drive them like you stole them.

TOM

ckau
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Tom,

Would you say that jump in the video is more than what these buggies should be able to handle? I'm just wondering because that kind of driving is "fun" in my opinion, and if these things can't handle that kind of driving, then it might be time for an upgrade :D.

I brought two buggies out with us that day, and we ended up breaking both! the shaft on that one, and a couple welds on my other one. I'm in the process of re-welding the parts that broke, but I'm just curious if I should probably just "let off" a little, or perhaps keep driving hard, breaking, and reinforcing...

these buggy can handle quite a bit of pounding but nothing can take it indefinitely. so some repairs /maintenance will be require. Most of the damage we've seen is do to driver error. For example : Your wifes jump, had she backed out of the gas as soon as the rear wheels left the ground, the rear end could have free wheeled on landing then so adsorbing most of the shock in a forwards motion! The forward speed of the buggy did not match the speed the wheels were spinning so when ground contact was made ,something had to give. You never want to be on the gas while in the air or before the rear wheels make contact on a landing. The momentum of the jump will carry you forwards faster than the throttle will. After landing wait a sec for the suspension to settle then you can pour it on! Timing is everything! Like Tom stated , good shocks really help make this possible.
But in spite of the canarge , she made a really sweet jump there:hooaray:

uthe54
09-21-2011, 09:16 PM
ckau,

That was my exact same thought process for why it broke (she probably kept her foot on the gas pedal, and when the wheels hit the ground it had to take all the speed out somewhere, I just wish it was on the belt and not the shaft :)).

Sometimes the best way to learn is the hard way...

Tom,

You're probably right about the shocks. I hadn't thought about that, but I've got them turned down as soft as they'll go. I bet if I tightened them up it would absorb the shock better.

That Razor gokart (in the video) has a pretty rough ride. That SUNL I have has much bigger shocks, and is substantially more smooth on the trails... I'm just glad I didn't bust a shaft on that one since it's got the more rare GY6 with that nearly impossible to find output shaft that you found for me last year!

Well, both of your responses are reassuring. I really like my buggies, and will continue to drive them like I stole them! Plus when they're broken, it gives me something to do with them while they're sitting in the garage :lol:

uthe54
09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Tom,

while we're on the topic, you mention that these shafts are possibly designed wrong from the factory, and potentially a weak point. Do you know if there are stronger more reinforced shafts out there that you have access to?

Just wondering...

SYCARMS
09-21-2011, 10:04 PM
What I meant is that the shaft had a flaw from the factory and not a bad design. The output shaft would have taken the brunt of the force being on the drive side. I have never had the driven clutch side shaft break it has always been the output shaft.

TOM

roysheepdog
11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
always let off the gas before you land!

Egoyte
12-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Hah, yeah... Sorry that messed up your buggy, but that looked like great fun. Good on your wife for going for it. :biggthumpup:

That said, I'm probably WAY too rough on the equipment myself...