PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what kart this is?

juvius
10-15-2011, 06:01 PM
i've been trying to figure out the make of this go kart for days. looking at so many pics of different karts, it's all i see when i close my eyes. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

the front bars were originally straight. my sons hit a tree and bent on side, so i bent the other cause we like the look better.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/dawnehale/gokart/IMG_1198.jpg
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/dawnehale/gokart/IMG_1200.jpg

BuggyMaster
10-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I seriously wonder if that is home built or a kit kart. I've never seen one like that. No parking of any kind on it that can point in the right direction?

juvius
10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
I seriously wonder if that is home built or a kit kart. I've never seen one like that. No parking of any kind on it that can point in the right direction?

none what so ever on the frame itself. before i took care of the rust and painted the frame, there were identical sticker on each side saying Viper 800 gt. I'm not sure they were just added by the previous owner or if they came on it. Google didn't show any results....

if it was home made, i really like how they did it with the adjustable seat and electric start. i'm not sure i understand that tall structure in the back though

metalstudman1
10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Welcome juvius- I'm with Buggymaster-it's probably home built- too many features would have been a liability/warranty issues for a manufacturer.The striaght bumpers (uncapped), exterior throttle cable,battery holder without a bolted hold down or cover,crank shaft exposed/no pull start cover- things that wouldn't cause you any issues but to the general public these few items would've been possible law suits.The roll cage over the engine looks like they came from a Yerfdog, the frame resembles a Murray Explorer. It's a good looking kart none the less and the electric start 8hp is a good solid engine.

juvius
10-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Welcome juvius- I'm with Buggymaster-it's probably home built- too many features would have been a liability/warranty issues for a manufacturer.The striaght bumpers (uncapped), exterior throttle cable,battery holder without a bolted hold down or cover,crank shaft exposed/no pull start cover- things that wouldn't cause you any issues but to the general public these few items would've been possible law suits.The roll cage over the engine looks like they came from a Yerfdog, the frame resembles a Murray Explorer. It's a good looking kart none the less and the electric start 8hp is a good solid engine.

thanks.... i appreciate it... i do have the pull start though... it was making noise so i took it off for inspection.....

do you know how I can at least identify the carb? i really want to get that kit... i pulled it off and don't see any part numbers or anything...

i drained the oil while i was at it... that oil was black as black can be... and thin thin thin like water...

metalstudman1
10-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Look up your engine parts breakdown- it'll show the carb too

juvius
10-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Look up your engine parts breakdown- it'll show the carb too

i would, but i can't find the model number anywhere... i just pulled it off and took it apart to see if it was hidden under something, but i don't see it anywhere. i'm going to take my drill and wire wheel to it tomorrow to see if it hidden under a rusty spot...

edit: i was getting a little confused thinking you knew that i couldn't figure it out... i have a thread at diygokarts about the motor here: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?p=176834&posted=1#post176834

juvius
10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
i now know what motor I have... woohoo....

it's model number: 190432

juvius
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
i have still been looking very hard to find out what kind of go cart i have. i was convinced that it's home made until i found this yerf cart model 1400 for sale on craigslist. i know mine isn't that same model, but check out how similar the steering setup is and the side bars are. even the tires are the same. i replaced the front, but the ones in that picture are what used to be on mine. i looked at the yerf dog website and they don't list the 1400 model. so if it is a yer dog, is there a place where i can find pics of old yerf dog carts before bmi bought them out?

does the similarities suggest to you that my cart is probably an old yerf dog?

here's a copy to the listing that has a couple more pics...
http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/2656589656.html

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu19/dawnehale/gokart/yerfdog.jpg

metalstudman1
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM
I still have one of these in the bone yard!!! That's why I said the roll cage looked like a Yerfdog. The steering on most older model yard karts look the same- but Yerfdog to knowlege didn't ever use a drag link type steering like your's has. The steering wheel isn't from a Yerfdog-your's is very deep, nor are the pedals.Wheels and tires are really hard items to pin-point a maker as they all used the same sources back then.IMO I still think it's a homebuilt kart.I use all kinds of parts from wore out karts to modify others!!!Nothing I have is stock or do I even try to buy factory replacement parts.

juvius
10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
thanks... i'm going to go with that then... home built it is.... i guess it doesn't really matter anyways, since i'd buy all my parts at the local surplus store.... thanks again....

i see that you're in NC... how far are you from highpoint and randleman? i used to live in those areas a long time ago when i was 16. My family in highpoint still call me to come back from time to time.... i really loved it there...

metalstudman1
10-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm just west of Charlotte off I-85. About 2 hrs. NE to get to Highpoint. I moved from OK to Alaska to LA area thru Texas for a while then here- best climate for us and tons of trees!!!