PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Location

Lyonsperf
11-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Do the GY6's require a gravity feed fuel system with the tank higher than the carb? If so where can I mount the tank?
I wanted to put a marine grade tank in the front bulkhead of the chassis but this would be lower than the carb.
Was considering an electric fuel pump if necessary.
Any ideas?

metalstudman1
11-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes it feeds with gravity- Did you post pic's of your project yet?

Lyonsperf
11-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks. My son has taken many pics but we need to download tem from his camera.

What about those add on vacuum operated fuel pumps?

metalstudman1
11-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry can't confirm/verify-never tried it-it should work, if hooked up to to intake outlet? Don't know how much vacuum is created- maybe one of the other members knows or has done it.Those pumps work off the crankcase pressure/pulse- or maybe hooked up to the valve cover?

BuggyMaster
11-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I'd like to see pics of the project as well just to get a better idea of where you're going.

jetasen74
11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
all of the ones i have seen are ran off an adapter that comes off of the carb. (between the carb and intake),you dont realy want to run it off the valve cover vent due to oil /heat. i heard it will cause problems down the line.

metalstudman1
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't know what harm would come from a valve cover hook-up as every lawnmower style engine has that set-up that runs a pump!!!

jetasen74
11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
just what i got from an old school kart racer. he said after a while it will cause problems due to build up. he and my bro inlaw are building some street karts for fun and he recomended that was the way for him to go. he is also a small and large engine guru. i got a 350 he built for my s-10 and it is bad ass.

ckau
11-15-2011, 04:18 AM
The gy6 does require a gravity feed fuel system. the problem with the pulse type or vacuum pumps is volume. These motors with any sort of fuel system upgrades use a surprising amount of fuel for a motor that small. An electric pump that requires small amperage will work but you will need to use a 8 or 11 pole stater to run it. even then you may not have enough output left to run lights and other accessories. Getting the fuel pressure acurate would be tricky.

Lyonsperf
11-15-2011, 07:12 AM
OK. I just didn't like the idea of the gas tank right behind our heads. Plus the smell of the gas. I have already spent more than I thoght on this little venture. But the results are impressive and my boy is having a great time building it.

jetasen74
11-15-2011, 07:25 AM
The gy6 does require a gravity feed fuel system. the problem with the pulse type or vacuum pumps is volume. These motors with any sort of fuel system upgrades use a surprising amount of fuel for a motor that small. An electric pump that requires small amperage will work but you will need to use a 8 or 11 pole stater to run it. even then you may not have enough output left to run lights and other accessories. Getting the fuel pressure acurate would be tricky.

do have to run a return line with an electric pump?

jetasen74
11-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't know what harm would come from a valve cover hook-up as every lawnmower style engine has that set-up that runs a pump!!!

if that is the case than why do they sell adapters specificly for that aplication.and why do most kart racers run the intake setup.:suspect:

ckau
11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Comparing these buggys to kart racers is sort of a apples to oranges thing. The Briggs motors use a third of the fuel consumption. they only run for a short period of time and it's mostly level smooth pavement The demands on a buggy fuel supply are considerably greater.
there is no power source for a pump to be found in the valve cover of a buggy cvt motor. if there is any pressure there at all it is sporadic ,inconsistent and only occurs if there is blow by from bad rings.
There is a vacuum source in the intake between the motor and head that could operate a vacuum pump but doubtful if the pump could keep up with demand.
The tank mounted above the rear motor has never seemed to be an issue As long as the fuel cap seats properly and the tank is vented correctly there is no problem.
I use an good quality aftermarket tank for the purpose of larger capacity and durability. I have put the buggy on the roof and never spilled a drop from the tank. The fume problem only happens during refueling and after you move for-wards the vapors are evaporated in the wind behind you.

jetasen74
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
wasnt comparing race karts and buggies. just trying to give an example,and answer a question about a fuel pump set up.

metalstudman1
11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
ckau- love the exhaust pipe

ckau
11-24-2011, 05:29 AM
ckau- love the exhaust pipe

That pipe was one of the, now extinct, Eastside pipes. IMO, the best production pipe ever designed for a gy6. just wasn't enough demand to justify future production.

The tank, http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/fuel/buggyfuel1.htm
3.5 gal. aluminum A bit pricy but any fuel suppy issues are solved. That tank shown is now over 6 years old. The only time I take a second look is to maybe polish it every once an a while. No rust or contamination issues. The extra capacity means a tank lasts a whole lot longer than my stamina does. Never checked my fuel milage but a good guesstimation would put it at a 100 miles a tank.

SYCARMS
11-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Your right about the exhaust, I tried to get Stu to tell me where he gets them and all he would tell me is you have to order 50 at a crack, I'd love to find out who makes them. I do like your fuel tank. Couldn't tell from your pic, did you have to weld brackets in the basket for the straps?

TOM

ckau
11-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Your right about the exhaust, I tried to get Stu to tell me where he gets them and all he would tell me is you have to order 50 at a crack, I'd love to find out who makes them. I do like your fuel tank. Couldn't tell from your pic, did you have to weld brackets in the basket for the straps?

TOM

The mounting straps supplied are pre- bent to form a flat bottom cradle to hold the tank. A couple of 1x1 x 8 " long angle pieces welded in the basket make the mounting base. Might be able to pick them out in this pic.
I found another old pic showing the Eastside pipe configuration.

I haven't talked to Stu since after the last SEMBRA race. How's he doing?

SYCARMS
11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Struggling like the rest of us.

SYCARMS
11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I can see in this pic the angle. Thanks.

TOM