PDA

View Full Version : Choking Talon

bug smasher
11-30-2011, 09:05 PM
I have Talon 150 hand me down I got after mine was stolen. I was told it needed a carb so I put new one on. It ran fine and idled fine then my son took it down the road and it started to sputter and spit. Now it won't stay running it seems like it may be flooding. I was trying check the choke to if it functions properly. I took the choke loose and started it and it seemed to run much better. The plug appears to be wet when removed.
What source controls the power to the choke ?
How do you check the choke ?
It has new plug and new fuel new carb new battery
Does the ceramic resistor control power to the choke
I plugged the old choke into the harness and never saw it change position after I started it
Thanks for any help or ideas

metalstudman1
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you've already doing what you should have.The ceramic resistor does provide the correct voltage (don't know what voltage is though)to the enrichment valve.To test the enrichment valve you just need to apply power to it- it should extend about a 1/4" after about 2-3mins. Most of the time you can start the engine without the enrichment valve functioning by pumping the gas rapidly and feathering the throttle till warmed up (approx. 2-5 mins.) All my GY6's had 2 resistors in series for the enrichment valve. I know the enrichment valve can be checked with full voltage without burning it up. The simple other things to cause your issue would be trash moving into the new carb or a leak in the intake.I'd check all your electrical connections too. Very rarely a weak or failing stator/flywheel will cause spitting & sputtering after warm up.