PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a "yellow jacket" for stunting?

Egoyte
12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi there.

My name's Josh, and my friends and I have kind of an odd way of spending our down time; We intentionally misuse toys. Rafts, knives, and (why I'm here) occasionally ATVs and go karts.

My brother from another mother Kenny just recently had his first go kart pulled out from storage with his Dad, and we gave it a once-over. Tuned it up, new tire on the side that matters, new clutch... Then we did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXawNCJVidQ

So, my question to you fine gentlemen and gentlewomen; What can we do to make this safer, or easier... Or faster. Better?

There's a video of my buddy taking a jump off of the top as we were moving, but he couldn't really perch himself up there easily. How would you folks recommend ramping this up? Could you see maybe a small platform on top of the roll cage working?

Obviously it would make tipping a LOT more likely, but as you can probably guess, we're the kind of people who go for that intentionally sometimes... So impracticality isn't really daunting to us, here. All suggestions welcome.

I do know that 18-ish years ago when they first got the kart, they also got the engine upgrade kit, so I actually have to confirm with him what the HP is now.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

metalstudman1
12-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Are you really asking how we can make your dangerous/ridiculous stunts off the back of a go kart safer?:doh: IMO your video is funny but a terrible reflection of 18-ish year olds who haven't had to pay for their own medical bills yet. Let's not spread the stupidity to the rest of our younger crowd please. I like the Yellow jacket kart though-

Egoyte
12-04-2011, 12:24 AM
27, business owner. 28, partner in that business. 30, owns a separate business.

But don't worry about it, honest mistake ;)

Egoyte
12-04-2011, 12:24 AM
And the "safer" bit was meant in good humor ;)

Far more interested in faster, stronger, harder, better.

metalstudman1
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Welcome- What size motor is in the kart?

Egoyte
12-04-2011, 02:22 PM
5.5 HP, I'm told. So I take it replacing it is an important step? Not sure on the exact measurements, in size.

Edit - Quick clarification that I probably could have made earlier; I'm well aware that what we're doing is hazardous, and to your note of younger readers, NONE of you should try this yourselves. It's very dangerous, and believe it or not, I'm trained. And my friends... Well, I'm watching and training them.

Stuff like this is every bit as dangerous as it looks, don't let us pulling it off make it seem like a good idea.

That said, that's about why I've sought out this community. I know about stunts, and my buddy Kenny USED to know enough about go karts to have built this one with his dad, literally almost two decades ago... And right now, that's the extent of our knowledge.

Planning is safety, and while I've got the physics down, I know nothing about the little buggy I'm clinging to, aside from it's respectable ability to hold me.

I'm here to ask the experts to school me. :)

x-bird
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Wellllll, i have a 27 hp Kawasaki V-twin that would fit right in with your train of thought on this .... however, i don't want to see you and it appear wadded up in a tangle of metal on ch 122 TruTv or SpeedTV's "Dumbest stuff on wheels" ....:joke:

Egoyte
12-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Hah, yeah... I know enough to figure that thing's top speed probably doesn't have a safe(ish) way to bail from...

I can probably pull double what the 5.5 engine is giving us now in speed.

Edit: Today's qued video has what I think is a better shot of the go-kart in it. Also, I think no one will argue, it's somewhat less stupid of us ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csT__BzLta8

metalstudman1
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm your biggest fan now:buttkick: This is soley my opinion :suspect: -I know I'm an old fart(my disclaimer), but let's see what positive attributes you've brought to this forum so far- 3 video's of grown men auditioning for "Jack Ass". You intentionally video-ed how easy this small yard kart with a grown man well beyond it's intended weight limit will turn over and then got a laugh out of a toddler & this was supposed to be an improvement over your other vid's.:banghead: You realize that we promote "SAFETY" and you could at least worn a seat belt.(bailing out isn't an option either)
We're here to help with any maintenance,repair and modification questions for your kart.Riding anywhere outside the seat and roll-cage area wouldn't be part of our expertise.
Go-karts/buggies are one of the safest motorized off-road activities out there and you've made a mockery of it with your silly stunts and posting them here & then providing your disclaimer/justification doesn't make it alright-
and I can see all that professional training.:booty:
my 2cents worth.:biggthumpup:

Egoyte
12-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Hah, brother, to each their own. As happy as you seem to be to tell me off, I'm happy to hear it. I've heard worse, so your disclaimer wasn't needed. You're fine, "old fart" or no.

I've been jumping off of things for a good 3 years longer than Jackass was on television, though. And have been publishing it online for just as long.

That I do in fact feel it important to say that, and I really do take pride in it, says as much about me as what you've said does about you, brother.

Difference is, I wish you well anyway. ;)

Quick edit: That kid you're so upset to see enjoying us play? He's the son of one of the men you're looking down on, and you don't need to worry about him - We take care of him, and he knows to never do what Uncle Josh does. Don't assume a lot from a little - I'm sure the "old fart" who takes pride in his go karts (as well you should, not a judgement) has done a thing or two in his life that he had to explain to a child wasn't to be repeated.

jetasen74
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Quick edit: That kid you're so upset to see enjoying us play? He's the son of one of the men you're looking down on, and you don't need to worry about him - We take care of him, and he knows to never do what Uncle Josh does. Don't assume a lot from a little - I'm sure the "old fart" who takes pride in his go karts (as well you should, not a judgement) has done a thing or two in his life that he had to explain to a child wasn't to be repeated.

you guys wont think that way when "that kid" breaks breaks his neck. try watching a close friend lose a 6 year old child due to stupid 4 wheeler stunts like yours. your vids are not welcome here.

Egoyte
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
OK then, let's try this.

Delete my thread, and my account. I love how the guys who are giving me a lecture on safety know nothing of common civility. Or even on the best ways to get their point across - the comparative pup here has read Carnegie, and recommends it to the rest of you.

This was the 5th forum in the search. I came here, passing over the others, seeking council. Not judgement. The kid's in the video because I (and the parents) thought he was adorable, and this video was made to sit and stay - not for your personal amusements.

If you have a hang-up that keeps you from respecting people who aren't terrified of life, even when they approach you with kindness, then I have a hang up that keeps me from respecting you.

Or, to make it to a metaphor that fits in with your overly-reduced world-view: The "rowdy kids" are no longer interested in walking through your crappy yard, "old fart."

Have a nice life, pretending that the way YOU ride around in a pint-sized motor vehicle is a hobby, and the way I do it is offensive - because clearly you're doing it for some utility reason, and I'm just an asshole.

Peace.

jetasen74
12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
thank you. take your childish ways and apply them to real life and see what happens. some of us have to grow up and properly raise a family....we are sorry for showing our kids how to have fun in a safe and respectful way. maybe the next site you go to leave out all of the stunts and show some respect, just in case you are woundering no one is interesred in your vids nor helping in any way for some one to do some thing so un safe.

travlinmanus
04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Amen jetasen74. Just got a y.d for my kids and disabled wife. If mine, or any of my kids friends were doing this on any of our off road toys they would be banned..Period!!! We spend money on helmets not ER room visits.