PDA

View Full Version : Comet engagement too harsh ?

Snoopy
12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Scored a fantastic deal on a go kart. It has a brand new H.F.
6 1/2 hp motor and new comet clutch, but when you step on the gas pedal it sure seems a bit harsh when it first takes off and also anything less than full speed seems to cause excess vibration from the clutch as well.
The clutch belt has grooves and my guess those are where the vibration is coming from. My gut tells me I need a little more tenson on the belt, any opinions here or other thoughts would be appreciated. This is my first time owning a kart with a comet clutch so I know nothing about them.
Thanks, snoopy

x-bird
12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
I'll let teh experts give you the exact advice on the Comets --i have one and it's new to me to. But there's a lot of information out there for them. If the belt sides that ride against the pulley face are grooved, it's replacement time.

metalstudman1
12-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Can you post some pic's? Would like to see the alignment with the driven.

joekd
12-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Sounds like the driver needs to be replaced, normally I would say just the springs but it sounds like yours has other issues

You mention vibration, do you see the driver actually vibrating (moving) or just feel it?

Just to give you an idea this is what it should look like running, notice the front driver unit doesn't move at all

http://youtu.be/kG3sEdGg6u4

Snoopy
12-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the video, I'm trying to get some pics on here but I work a lot of double shifts.
I can tel ya this though, when I said my belt has grooves, I meant they run sideways, like the belt is made of little chunks on the I inside and its smooth on the outside.
And not due to wear, this belt was made that way. I'll get some pics on here and we can take a better look at the belt for starters. As far as pulleys or driven and drive units, mine looks just like the one in the vid. Thanks, snoopy

metalstudman1
12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Belts with the grooves on the inside is typical, and I've found they run cooler.Yes that type of belt does vibrate more, have you tried to add more tension yet? Grabbing CVT usually indicates dirty clutch.

Snoopy
12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Off work tomorrow for the first since ??? Hope to mess with it then.
Had 100 or more hours at work two weeks in a row but it should slow some. I wanna upload some other pics of my from scratch mini I'm building also.
Thanks for having the site, could a moderator send me a pm at their convenience, thanks , snoopy