PDA

View Full Version : Damn seats too wide!

Lyonsperf
12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
I go to mount the passenger seat next to the drivers that is already there and it won't fit! These are Jaz seats that I got the dimensions from Jaz before buying and worked into the blueprint.
I need at least an inch or more to get them to fit between the roll cage. Any suggestions? I thought of heating them up and flattening the sides but don't know if that will work.

x-bird
12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
pictures ... )))

joekd
12-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Sawzall! Cut off the left side of the pass seat till it fits!

Unfortunately I have seen that done before

Lyonsperf
12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Funny!
What I did was heat the sides of each seat with my heatgun and then flatten it with a 2 x 4. smelt bad but got the clearance I needed. Not having a good week.

I managed to weld one side of the seat tabs on the wrong side of the tube! Now we have an extra set of tabs on one side. Then the chuck fell off of my drill press! Shut everything down and went inside to take a nap!

ckau
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I hear ya! sometimes a nap IS the best tactic.:biglaugh:

metalstudman1
12-21-2011, 09:39 PM
By chance did you end up with the wider seats? I've got 2 different sizes of the same style seat. Good job on heating them and getting a flat spot that works. I have A LOT of those days too!!!!!

Lyonsperf
12-22-2011, 06:44 AM
It seems that the seats I got are Jaz Baja Busters. They are the first seat Jaz made. They no longer use this particular mold as they are now called mini pro stock. The dimensions I got off their site is for the newer seats!

metalstudman1
12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Glad you worked past that issue.

Lyonsperf
12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
The best was when I used the scissor jack with a length of 1-3/4 tube to try and spread the top rails! Was going fine then, Boing! Bang! the tube ended up across the room and I threw my shoulder out turning to avoid it!
My son wasn't there but said we could have made an easy $1000 on most funny videos.

Lyonsperf
12-22-2011, 08:07 PM
And I just found out I left the argon on two nights ago and the tank is empty! There goes another $50 bucks!

tmsandk11
12-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Give that man an adult beverage... Glad they worked though.

x-bird
12-24-2011, 04:17 PM
The best was when I used the scissor jack with a length of 1-3/4 tube to try and spread the top rails! Was going fine then, Boing! Bang! the tube ended up across the room and I threw my shoulder out turning to avoid it!
My son wasn't there but said we could have made an easy $1000 on most funny videos.

that's what they make the port-a-power for!

argon-- you doing aluminum?? unless you left a torch knob open, sounds like you have a fitting or regulator leak. Nothing bites worse than losing a tankful from a leak. I try to be religious about shutting my tanks, even if i know there's no leaks. Just good a habit.

Lyonsperf
12-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah argon/co2. I just realized I need the two brackets I welded on to fix my comedy of errors. Oh well, time to get out the cutting wheeel!
FYI, surplus center ran out of the 12" shocks. I was gonna get two more. Anybody know what brand they are? No markings at all on the shock bodies.

metalstudman1
12-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Having spoke to the fine folks @ Surplus supply many times- I bet they don't even know the brand or where they got them from! Those people move a ton of products in a hurry.

x-bird
12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
I was afraid they were going to run out -- whenever i don't have a penny to my name, the deals drop in my lap. then when i get the coin, they're gone. I'm looking at those e-bay air/coil shocks for 40-50 each, but i'm not liking the look of the aluminum or pot metal casting for the air reservoir. i could see the neck of those cracking off after awhile.

BuggyMaster
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see pics of this as well...

x-bird
12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
the shocks or Lyons' buggy?

joekd
12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Having spoke to the fine folks @ Surplus supply many times- I bet they don't even know the brand or where they got them from! Those people move a ton of products in a hurry.

You are right, I called to verify they don't have them anymore. When I asked if they could recommend a replacement the lady pretty much told me to take the measurements off that item and find them myself on the website.

speedshopmike
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
check ebay for 'em