PDA

View Full Version : Yerf Dog upgrading

boywondered
12-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey everyone

I picked up a yerf-dog 3206 back in October at an auction and looks like it had been ridden rough, though nothing is broken and everything is original. Having scoured the internet (and a bunch from this forum), I already plan to beef up the front end (a friend of mine welds, so he is going to assist in most of it) and make some other smaller mods.

Right now, I am trying to decide what route I want to go with the motor. It was obvious it hadn't been run in a while and after cleaning the carb and charging the battery I was able to get get it running, albeit rough. Except for the fuel line all the rubber is splitting/rotting. My original plan was to go through and replace these, clean everything up, and make some mods while I was at it.

A few weeks ago at a different auction I picked up a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard V-Twin 16 hp motor with a horizontal shaft. I got it to fire up right away, and overall looks/sounds in fairly good condition.

I my question is two-fold. First, does anyone have (or heard of) anyone using the Vanguard motors in karts with good success? I have looked some and all I could find were golf carts. Secondly, do you think it would be worth the effort to put it into the Yerf, or work on the Howhit motor and save the Vanguard for a non-running kart I am sure will cross my path (at least I hope)?

I am on the fence, and I think it is because I might be able to use this as my excuse to have two karts....:D. I am fairly handy mechanically, I just can't weld so have to lean on the charity of friends. This being my first kart, I am not sure if I my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

metalstudman1
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
The BS Vanguard & similar larger motors are used on off-road karts. The "Shredder" comes to mind. Here's the difference- wheel speed (rpm's) and how fast you get that wheel speed. The Howhit GY6 150cc is 7-10hp with an enclosed variator and clutch (A very efficient, low maintainance transmission), where-as with the BS engine you'll be spending around $300. just for a Comet 40/44 clutch, driven & belt. The 16hp would make for a lot of torque for climbing, the Howhit IMO would be more universal for all around driving. Your style of driving would be the next factor- if you just want to putt around then the BS wouldn't let you down, but if aggressive driving is in your plans then the GY6 would be the obvious choice. IMO you'd be degrading the "SPIDERBOX" with the BS engine- but that's just me!!!

boywondered
12-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks metalstudman1, that helps to give me an idea where I want to go with it. I picked up the spiderbox as something the daughter and I could ride in. She is only 4, but already a bit of a thrill junky (no thanks to me) so I imagine putting around isn't going to last very long (especially when the adults go out and play). I had picked up the BS for less than $100 kind of on a lark because no one even knew if it ran. I figured if it did work, and I didn't want to use it in the spiderbox then I would keep it if I stumbled across a frame or sell it at some point. My dad is already eyeing it for his welder and a couple other things he has that need new motors.

I think I am going to stick with the original plan and clean up the Howhit. Thanks again for the input.