PDA

View Full Version : Spider box left wheel toe in issue

shootistpd27
12-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I am new to karting but it is an addiction I am suffering from with no need for rehab. I bought my daughter a trailmaster 150 xrs and I have since been dreaming of having one of my own to toy with. I miraculously came across a spiderbox in my buddy's father's front yard and after an awesome trade, I had it! I got the motor running, the lights work but there is a steering issue. I cannot find exactly what is wrong with it online so here goes. I know that it needs ball joints because they are rusted and look atrocious. But the main issue is the left front tire. It will not line up with the right tire. When I turn to the right, it will become horizontal and lock up. I can turn the wheel hard and jerk it, and it will free up but turning any more than 10 or 20 degrees is impossible. I am afraid to drive it except for in a straight line. I tried to adjust the toe in nuts next to the ball joint but that didn't work. What do I need to fix this? I understand there was a big deal with a recall for certain models, mine is a 4902. I am unsure if it is one of the recalled models but either way, I need to know what parts to get to fix it. I am not a welder nor do I have any welding tools. I found the "driver's side offset spindle" on ebay, is this part what will fix my problem? Please let me know. Thank you all in advance for any assistance on this issue. And I hope you all have a Merry CHRISTmas!!!

metalstudman1
12-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Welcome & Merry Christmas fellow addict. You really need to post some pic's so we can see all the parts invloved. Your ball joints were the ones affected by the lawsuits (they came apart while driving causing accidents, any ball joint can do the same thing)- that said- bad/wore out ball joints could easily cause your issue. But it really sounds like a multiple of items wearing out or damaged- spindle could be bent, steering arms could be bent, A-arms could be bent. Posting pic's will help us narrow down the culprit or culprits, try and get both wheels from the front in the pic and some close-ups of the spindle,wheel,A-arms,ect....

shootistpd27
12-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I will get those pics up asap. I am away from home as of now due to it being Christmas morning, but I am chomping at the bit to break away, go take the pics, gett'em on here, so I can find out whats wrong with it, so I can spend my Christmas money and fix it. Thanks so much for your help, I will be back asap.

tmsandk11
12-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Saw one somewhere else that had something amiss with different ball joints. One side had a large on the top and other side had a larger one on the bottom. pics will help when you get them.

shootistpd27
12-26-2011, 06:49 PM
I am trying to upload these pics but it won't take them. I browse and select them to upload, I am even doing them one at a time, but it takes about ten minutes, then the page goes white. If I have to I can email them to someone. I know that is kind of a no-no to ask for someone's email address, but if it helps, I am a cop.

metalstudman1
12-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Nice to know you're a cop!!! You can e-mail me : metalstudman@hotmail.com & I'll try to upload them for you

shootistpd27
12-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks metalstudman1. I emailed them to you. If those are not enough then I think I might have found a way to reduce the pixels in the pics enough to send more but those should do it. I am pretty sure that the left tie rod end is bent but you guys are the experts. I am just a guy that slipped tripped and fell into another money pit. But it sure is a fun one. Thanks for your help. Ditto on the 2nd amendment tmsandk11!!

metalstudman1
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Ok- I know why you can't upload pic's- 5.0 mb - 6.0 mb per pic is a little too big!!!! I won't be able to post them either-

After looking at your pic's - passenger side spindle tabs are bent, lower ball joint tab is bent down and the upper is bent up. This will fail soon as you don't have the newer type, heavy duty spindles.
If you'll notice the stud angle on the ball joints, they all point every direction but straight down like they should, so the ball joints are shot & allowing the spindle to swivel in all directions. The A-arms look good and straight.
Since you don't weld- I'd order the HD spindles and ball joints that Buggy depot sells (I don't know of another source for these items), This will bring the frontend back to straight again and eliminate the locking or over rotation of the spindle from the wore out ball joint swivel.

If you can reduce the size of the pic's in the camera then you'll be able to upload (less than 97 kb)

shootistpd27
12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, thats the story of my life. I either go WAAAAAAAY big, and often too big, or not big enough. Thank you so much for trying. Im going to go with your suggestions. I am looking for the parts now. Do I have to specifically buy the spindles for the spiderbox, or do you suggest another model that will work better than stock?

shootistpd27
12-28-2011, 09:26 PM
One more thing. Do you think I need to replace the tie rod ends as well or will the new ball joints and spindles be enough? I am not into devilish stunts or high jumps. I just want a kart that will keep up with my other trailmaster. Don't get me wrong, when this howhit 150 cc engine dies, I am going to replace it with a kawasaki 400 cc racing atv engine, but until then, Im gonna get all I can out of this howhit.

metalstudman1
12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Look and see how loose they are to determine if they need replacing, if they just flop, they're bad, if there is still some resistance they could stay.
When you do the upgraded Kawi motor get a way to post pic's & video!!!!!!

shootistpd27
12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah, when I get that dream job started, going, and finished, I will shout from the roof tops to all who will listen " This is the baddest machine ever made" even though someone will surely shut me down like the guy with the 900 cc donut making gokart. LOL.

metalstudman1
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Just curious- how you gonna do that Kawi mod without a welder?That would be my first mod!!!!!!

shootistpd27
12-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Granted I have built it in my head first just by looking at the spiderbox after I disconnected the swing arm, but I will basically take the original howhit swingarm off. Then take the kawasaki, remove the fork and handlebars. I want to try and get the original kawasaki shocks to bolt right up, and then use the original kawasaki frame by welding reinforcements to it, suited to fit the original yerfdog mounts to the cock pit frame. Then I will take the radiator and mount it to the back deck behind the cockpit. Please excuse me if I have not caught up with the correct gokart jargon.

ckau
12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Unfortunatly your gonna need to weld on this yerf at some point. There's an old saying "A welder sholud have been included in the purchase of a yerf dog". so you may want to learn to weld or better yet, find a buddy with the equipment who's willing to come over on occasion.
Not to say it's a bad machine but cost was a major consideration during the original enginnering and production.The design is solid but the materials and fabrication are on the cheap end.They never intended guys like us to abuse these things :lol:
99% of the fixes are fast and simple and they all can be done with basic hand tools and that welder!
Check in before starting any changes. There a lot of folks here that mess with these things. we are more than happy to offer insight with the intent of saving you time and frustration.

P.S. welcome to a fellow "Yerfy"!

x-bird
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Yep ... every yerf toolkit needs an angle grinder and a welder ... Many welding/gas supply houses offer basic training classes for a reasonable price, as do a lot of local/county colleges. My supplier has a demo/test room that customers are free to pop in and try out the latest Miller equipment.

shootistpd27
01-01-2012, 12:45 AM
I plan on buying some welding equipment but I don't know what I will need until I start with these "dream" mods. From the research I have done it is going to cost me around three hundred bucks to get this yerfy driving. The engine appears solid but for the spindles and ball joints. And on my daughters trailmaster 150 xrs, I just finished fabricating what I call a buggy bikini top. It is pretty cool. I will have to get another camera so that I can take pics that will actually upload and then I will post them. I know it is just a prototype but it is functional, and keeps the cold out so that we can ride whatever the temperature is. thanks for all of your help.
P.S. Anybody know where I can find a rich buddy with a shop and welder who has enough money and time on their hands so they can do all of my welding?

x-bird
01-01-2012, 07:52 AM
When it comes to a welder, even though the price will look attractive, don't buy a flux-core only unit. Spend a little extra and buy one set to run with gas. The weld quality and ease of use is far better. Shop on CL and any local classifieds for used equipment, there is a lot of it around these days. As far as finding a "rich buddy" if you're in a region with dirt or paved track racing (modifieds, sprint etc.) finding a racer with a well equipped garage who does work on the side for a fair price isn't as hard as you'd think. Check with a couple local body shops--you'll find one who does paint/lettering on some of the cars, i almost guarantee it-- and see if they know anyone. You'd be surprised at how easily you can find someone to help.