PDA

View Full Version : Santa brought us a basket case

slash09r
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Hello from Texas! Just received a "fixer upper" Yerf-Dog 3206 (I think) that looks like the tires have seen the ground less than the rest of the buggy! I uploaded some pics so y'all can see. I guess the last rollover was a little too much for the frame and they did a butcher job fixing it and I guess decided to just weld up the ball joints instead of get new ones? So I've got quite a project in store for me, and I'm completely new to this buggy stuff. I used to race off-road bikes and worked in bike shops so I now enough about motors, and so far have been surprised by these GY6's and the aftermarket support. I also am in school for welding and have already finished the combo certification, so fabrication won't be a problem. I've seen some good stuff on here so far and would like to see any and all mods and customs you guys can throw at me. Also, I'm new to the CVT an if y'all know any GOOD resources for tuning these that would be awesome. Oh, and what CDI does everyone like to use, and are there limiters or "valet" modes on any of them? Like a kid pilot mode?

metalstudman1
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Welcome- Yes it's a 3206 & you've got a basket case alright!!! Hope it was free-is the rest of it that bad?!!! Just curious why you'd want a kid pilot mode? This forum is full of CVT and CDI recommendations.

x-bird
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
And i though my little 03 had it rough. Looks like good intentions and poor execution more than anything. and don't feel bad if you put money into getting it, you've got a good platform to work with no matter what condition. Even if it was spanking new, you'd be cutting and welding on it soon enough. For what i've now got into mine, i could've picked up a really sweet used ride--but then i wouldn't be having all the fun with the grinder and mig. BTW, Mr metal above has an amazing ability to conjure creations out of thin air that most here would give their right arm for. :biggthumpup:

slash09r
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
well the mother-in-law got it from some guy at work for $50 and intended it for the kids, but I think she thought she was getting a mower engine on a piece of plywood and they're not big enough for this yet. So it's our toy till then and like you said what's a toy not to play with it and make it your own, right? As for the kid mode, the oldest will get to drive it and I hope to build this thing faster than she needs to go and I was going to put a throttle stop screw on the carb unless there was a box to do that, like on a waverunner. If it was just me, I'd just put a turbo'd busa motor in it, but then again, if it was just me I'd have a turbo busa with a turbo busa motor in it.:suspect: But yeah the potential's there and the motor looks good and I was gonna go over all the welds anyway. But I need to get started on that front end and wanted to ask y'all about the 3/4" spindle mod I've been seein and any other frankenstein'ed set-ups y'all know about.

metalstudman1
01-17-2012, 10:44 PM
The simple solution for governing it down for your oldest would be in the throttle cable adjustment or a limiter screw on the pedal, but remember these engines need some WOT every now and then to keep too much carbon from building up on the piston. If the motor runs good then you've gotten a good deal. Please move the seat belt attatchment from the frame gusset!!!! I respect your daydreaming about a Busa powered buggy- not with this chassis!!! It's extremely light (tubing) and does a descent job with the lower HP output it comes with. As for the front spindles- 5/8" or 3/4" isn't as important untill you decide to use a different hub & larger rims/tires, then you'll end up matching what you bought.
I get worried about parts being welded in non-load bearing points and the weakening of the tubes, that one tube welded from the side rail to the rollcage is a concern- if the buggy was to roll over backwards the load would be put on that siderail and collaspe it, folding the rollcage around you.- just info to think about

AceFab
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Looks like someone went a little "Frankenstein" with the welder. I bet you'll have it looking good in no time though. Welcome to the forum!

slash09r
01-18-2012, 01:27 AM
yeah I'm gonna cut those rails and and put new ones on and same with the ones in front. That's one of the things i was looking for was other people's frame changes that worked out. Plus, from the looks of this buggy and other videos I've seen these don't look hard to flip and I would like to make it a little more flip worthy. We have mandrels at school we can use to bend the pipe. The seat belts were what was holding the seat in! It's really a good thing I have one so in need, because I would've been doing half of this stuff to a new one anyways. I probably saw too much tool time as a kid.

metalstudman1
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
This may provide some alternatives:
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159

slash09r
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
See now that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about!