PDA

View Full Version : transverse engine?

metalstudman1
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I figured I'd get some opinions from this great crowd-I've got another Frankenstein idea!!!! I'm leaning towards setting the Honda VFR700 engine I just bought in sideways. It's such a LONG,TALL engine that the swingarm without a second tranny for reverse would be well over 3' long.
I have a differential & axle from a Honda Big Red 3-wheeler. I pulled it yesterday and disassembled it to see what all the components consisted of. The differential gets the drivetrain turned 90 degrees again and the axle would end up being a jackshaft for my sprockets and 2nd tranny.
Anyone ever try doing something similar or have a better suggestion?
I'm going to build another completely new buggy for this (2 seater)
Do you need some pics to get a better idea?

AceFab
02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Pics please, this one sounds very interesting.

metalstudman1
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I'll get detailed pics of the parts invisioned to make it work tomorrow as I just moved all those parts out of the way to do a quick maintenance on one of the buggies. The weather is spring like here and the toys are getting abused daily. Too much stuff-too small a space!!!

AceFab
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm loving the mild weather, except the rain that started just after lunch. Great time for riding for sure. I'm "space challenged" too so, I understand how that works.

metalstudman1
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Just laid the parts involved together for everyone to get an idea. The drive shaft would get shorter and the jackshaft/axle will get shortened to whatever it needs & bearing carriers added. I'm planning on building a housing that bolts to the differential to the engine. Still mentally working out the tranny for reverse location and hook-up, I may just take the axle/jackshaft straight into the tranny with a similar coupler as the engine has.