PDA

View Full Version : quad frontend on a yerf-dog

lonniehall72@yahoo.com
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
has anyone tried to install yet how did it hold up?

metalstudman1
02-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Well I have a Polaris front end (strut & spindle assembly with home-made A-arms) I love it and my next project will have this same set-up. My kid's buggy from 3 yrs. ago had a china brand 4-wheeler front end incorporated into Spiderbox A-arms on their Manco. I've not as of yet cut a frontend,split it and welded it on one yet- Is that your game plan? It should work providing you have appropriate mounting points. The thing to remember with an ATV frontend is that the wieght distribution was from above and with a buggy it's from behind. The Spiderbox bulkhead takes care of the right distribution on that chassis, I'd think you'd need to try and use it some how. Sorry if this wasn't the correct answer!!!

lonniehall72@yahoo.com
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
i like the look of the front end just seems like from some of the posts that they suck. so to make it good and solid i thought of the quad. now if i put the hd ball joints and hd spindles whats going to be the next weak link. i saw vids on you tube were they sheet metaled these yerfs does this add any strengh or just cosmetic.think after i get the front end together i may look at putting something like the carbide rear axel think it wider

metalstudman1
02-18-2012, 08:22 PM
The next weak link!!!!! The bulk head bolt holes for the A-arms are only 1/8" plate, that needs to be doubled to prevent tear out from bigger impacts at the wheel or directly on the A-arm. The next weak link - IMO the sleeved tubes the A-arms pivot on, I have replaced bushings multiple times and added a grease zerk to help with free movement but still have the same issue- they get egg-shaped at the bushing and the grease only makes it move easier. When my bent tubes get done I'm eliminating the whole pivot tube and using rubber encased bushings just like nearly every Brand name ATV uses. The next weak link is the chassis it'self where the bulkhead attaches, I and many others have welded gussets or a plate on the top/front of the frame to spread out the load to minumize the cracking of the welds. Many have re-enforced the angled carrier plate (lower attachment point) I just put a better weld on mine as I couldn't see any real stress on it. They're many threads about all of these repairs/mod's on this forum!!!!!