PDA

View Full Version : Yet another hello from NC.

jdogg
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey guys! Glad to have found y'all. I've been looking for a buggy for my son...he's not interested in an ATV, would rather have a buggy or a dirt bike...Momma's not too keen on the dirt bike, so here we are. We have an Eton viper 70 atv for my daughter, and I have a CanAm Outlander 650. I love these buggies though, glad to have a community like this to learn from.

My main hobby "ride" is a 1974 Porsche 914 that sees regular duty at VIR, Rockingham, CMP, and local autocrosses. The CanAm sees duty on some local trails, Busco Beach, NC Motorsports Park, and of course WVa's Hatfield McCoy trails.

I am going to look at this tomorrow http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1385651674.html .....anyone know anything about 'em?

jdogg
09-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh, and I am in Youngsville....near Wake Forest north of Raleigh.

jdogg
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
How many posts till I get rid of this lame "lurker" status, LOL.

24evanwilson
09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
you get rid of it when you get about 50 posts lol thats when you get light contributor

tdubiel
09-22-2009, 09:30 PM
We should race our buggies sometime :)

BuggyMaster
09-22-2009, 10:59 PM
That go kart you are looking at caught my eye. What's nice about it is it appears to use the double a-arm suspension which is a major plus. I can't quite tell if that is in fact a manco but if it is, that machine likely precedes the Helix models right before them. Another added bonus is it has the suburu engine which I have said many times is likely the best go kart engine available. Looked pretty good.

The only downside to it is for not much more than that, you could be in a decent full size buggy. However, you can likely knock the price down on that by a bit as well. Depends on the rider and the riding environment as to whether or not I'd hold out for a full size mini buggy.

bige
09-23-2009, 03:59 AM
how old is your son? there are some good deals out there on used buggys. I tell my customers to buy for future growth. get one a tad big for them now so they can grow into it

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 06:36 AM
an old scorpion. i like it.

jdogg
09-23-2009, 06:50 AM
how old is your son? there are some good deals out there on used buggys. I tell my customers to buy for future growth. get one a tad big for them now so they can grow into it

He's just 7, so I believe this will allow plenty of room for growth, haha!!! Hopefully I'll get a look at it today, I'll report back what I find. One drawback is that is doesn't have a reverse gear....that'll just teach him to plan more in advance, right? Haha!!

jdogg
09-23-2009, 06:53 AM
We should race our buggies sometime :)

Where in WF are you? I'm in Woodcroft Subdivision just into Granville Co.
Where do like to ride?

BuggyMaster
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM
In our experience, the only ones that care whether or not it has reverse are us parents LOL! My kids never complained about not having reverse when that is what we were dealing with. They were way too happy about having the new toy.

Just be sure to ride it for a while. Ask them when the last time the belt was replaced. Seems people tend to sell them when they start blowing belts when it's just the drive pulley needing a cleaning.

jdogg
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
In our experience, the only ones that care whether or not it has reverse are us parents LOL! My kids never complained about not having reverse when that is what we were dealing with. They were way too happy about having the new toy.

Just be sure to ride it for a while. Ask them when the last time the belt was replaced. Seems people tend to sell them when they start blowing belts when it's just the drive pulley needing a cleaning.

Thanks for the tip. Anything else (out of the ordinary) to look for?

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 07:29 AM
lololo

BuggyMaster
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Just look for over-excessive slop in the front end components. I can't quite tell what that machine is. If it is in fact a Manco, the parts will be available. That would be my biggest concern is can I still get machine specific parts for it. For example, what happens if you wipe out an a-arm? Will you be able to get a replacement?

Be sure to check the seat adjustment to make sure it works and that your kid can reach the pedals. Brakes and other common things to check. Spend a little time on it if the owner will allow it just to make sure nothing pops up that only happens when it gets hot. I doubt it will have engine problems. Those engines are great.

BuggyMaster
09-23-2009, 07:34 AM
lololo

Are you posting from school?

jdogg
09-23-2009, 09:53 AM
A concern popped into my mind about this machine....steering effort. As I said, this is going to be for my 7 y.o.....The research I have done seems to indicate it is an earlier version of this: http://www.*****************/suspen.htm

Which is made by Manco (now American Sport Works). The chassis looks real similar to the Helix y'all speak so highly of...how is the steering effort on the Helix?

BuggyMaster
09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Should be fine.

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Are you posting from school?

NO, why, did some one get on my account im at my house im like a mile away from school:confused:

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
steering on the helix is great be sure to oil the chain steering though

BuggyMaster
09-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh wait, I think you're an hour behind us. Shows as 8:30 here but likely 7:30 there.

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 02:31 PM
nope same time zone eastern right? i had to go to the doctor so i was home lol that got me confused errreerereahahhaah

24evanwilson
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
i have to go to nc a lot and stay for like a couple of weeks every month or two . perty sure were in the eastern zone lol

bigs
09-23-2009, 05:12 PM
www.tricountysupply.com is a good place to get manco parts there great to deal with

BuggyMaster
09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
jdog, did you get it?

jdogg
09-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Yes I did! Sorry to not have posted sooner, I've actually been to busy to do any more than just push it into the garage. It is a Manco Aerforce F-211. The 7hp Subaru engine starts very easily and runs very smooth. There is a slight vibration at higher speeds, I'll have soem time this weekend to investigate that further. Might just be "flat spotted" tires from sitting so long. We'll run it this weekend, and make a list of what needs to be done.

I didn't realize just how big these things are, haha!! I pulled it into my 5x8 trailer and had only about 3-4" clearance on the side, and about 2" when I closed the gate, haha!!

jdogg
09-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Oh! I need to make some blocks for the pedals to make it easier for my son the reach 'em.....anybody got any pics to share of what you have done to solve this problem?

BuggyMaster
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Does the seat not adjust on them or just doesn't adjust enough?

I'd like to see some pics of that too. I'm thinking that is the Helix predesessor.

jdogg
09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
The seat slides about 5", he needs about 9". I thought about re-locating the sliders, but 1- The steering wheel will probably be too close and I'd have to cut and re-weld the shaft, and most importantly 2- I am 6'3", and I'd like to be able to play with it too!!
I am thinking some sort of easily removable blocks on the pedals will be the simplest solution...he can reach the pedals to drive now, but he has to slide way down on the seat...not thinking he's going to enjoy that postition for too long.
In between Cub Scouts, baseball, softball, and possibly an autocross for the Porsche this weekend, I plan to tinker on it some. I'll try to get some pics.

BuggyMaster
09-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Ya I was going to say just relocate the seat but looks like you may be our first pedal block fabricator. Be sure to start a thread about it in the Other Tech section so others can see how to do it.

tdubiel
09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Jdogg,

I live in Waterfall plantation off of Thompson Mill in WF

PatNY
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
He's not the first to come up with the idea
http://www.hammerheadbuggy.com/hammerheadparts.html

But would like to see the design he comes up with

24evanwilson
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
hA!LOL!