PDA

View Full Version : yerf-dog blues

lonniehall72@yahoo.com
03-10-2012, 06:03 PM
i have been replacing bolts all the way around this buggy getting it ready to go again cleaned the carb changed battery and its pouring gas. Ive had no problems with these carbs but this ones eating my lunch. gave up and went to shuv it back in shop thought id turn it around nose first this dang things not gonna be my fav for sure, turns ok left but not right.IF I mod the front do they get better thinking this may just end up getting cut up:mad:

EJ Mac
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Not sure how well the mods does, but honestly in the end it will still be a yerf dog, just a lighter duty buggy.

SYCARMS
04-19-2012, 10:05 AM
The Yerf needs a football field to turn around in, I don't see the HD replacement mods making a difference since its still the same steering just heavy dutier.

x-bird
04-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Some larger tires along with the rack mod (cutting/filing extra teeth into it) will help the turning radius. This is a spiderbox i assume.

T3beatz
04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I just got done doing some front end mods on my yerf and it turns pretty good now...
I had a Gen 2 buggy (short top A-Arms), I just extended the top ones, and drilled new holes in the BD spindles then cut off what was left sticking out.

Made new shock mounts for the top and re-positioned my Rack, took about 5-6 hours to do all of this. Next I'll grind out a couple new teeth into it like X-bird just said.

And EJ mac, with the right mods the yerf can pretty much hang or out due any buggy in it's class. :)

metalstudman1
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
with the right mods the yerf can pretty much hang or out due any buggy in it's class. :)

Since I don't have other bigger buggies to compete with I'd agree!!!!!

x-bird
04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
FWIW--when i did the rack, i added 11 teeth in order to mount it on center. Makes it 1 3/4 turns lock to lock. Believe it or not, the rack boots stayed in place during my limited test run and i hadn't even zip-tied them yet.

metalstudman1
04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
4 addition grooves/teeth (1-1/4 turn) is really all that's needed on the rack to get a tight turning radius!!!

T3beatz
04-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Since I don't have other bigger buggies to compete with I'd agree!!!!!

Don't you have a punisher?

I had a crossfire 150, it is a great buggy, trail worthy stock. But after I have put a little time into my yerf it can best the crossfire any day! I guess it's because it weighs over 100+lbs less.

metalstudman1
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Can't agreee with that!!! Since we drive both the Punisher and the Spiderbox side-by-side most of the time. I'd have thought the Spiderbox would easily outrun the Punisher- they're about as even as it get's even with the weight difference. Each have they're strong points but neither is considerably better than the other.

T3beatz
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Depends on the mods I guess. It is faster than my spiderbox, but I have more power.

Lyonsperf
04-26-2012, 08:08 PM
You can get longer boots from any offroad supply shop that has them for the shocks. Just how many slots per side are you guys doing?

metalstudman1
04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
You can get longer boots from any offroad supply shop that has them for the shocks. Just how many slots per side are you guys doing?
I searched shock boots too- the boots/bellows need to have a 3/8" to 1/2" hole at one end & 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at the other. All the ones I looked at had much bigger holes.
You can put -I guess as many grooves as you want- But as I said earlier you only need 4 grooves, they can be all on the long side or split up on both sides.

T3beatz
04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I just did what MSM said to do when I did my teeth and it worked out great. My turning is on point now, I can make a U turn in the middle of the street now. If you do all teeth on one side I think you will have to re-position the rack.

SYCARMS
04-27-2012, 06:18 AM
How long of a boot do you need?

x-bird
04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Mine with the 11 teeth added was for a completely custom front end (spindle center to steering arm bolt center is a longer distance than a stock yerf so i needed more teeth to get the wheel angle/turning radius i wanted.) and to reposition the rack on center. Ckau will know how many it takes to center a stock yerf rack for those wanting to do that. Likely is around 4-5 teeth added on the "long" side of the rack.