PDA

View Full Version : 3203 yerf dog need help

mike75
05-28-2012, 08:30 PM
i just bought a yerf dog i think 3203 and when i go to take off it jerks forward and when i hit high rpms the motor wants to lose power/hesitates any help would be greatly appreciated since I am no mechanic but can handle little the stuff

metalstudman1
05-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Welcome-- Clean & lube the clutch
scroll down to the bottom of the link for information on your CVT system:http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm

xlint89
05-28-2012, 10:06 PM
We need a pic of your Kart to verify what it is you have.

MSM, if he has a 3203, it has the TAV instead of the CVT.

And welcome to the board

metalstudman1
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
xlint89- TAV is a CVT!!!! CVT is a general term! (Constant velocity transmission)

mike75
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
thanks I'll give that a try. I was also woundering about new shocks. which ones I need for my go kart i.e. hydraulic or mechanical

metalstudman1
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
hydraulic is always better

xlint89
05-29-2012, 10:51 PM
OK, never heard anyone call the tAV the CVT.

mike75
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Ok cleaned and lubed cvt didn't seem to help. it still slips when taking off i can try to upload a vid if you think it will help

T3beatz
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Yep, TAV = Torque-A-Verter, the brand name from Comet... it's a CVT.

Mike, did you clean the carb also, at high RPM's it may be restricted. Also, how does the belt look? is it new, or old and thinned out?

x-bird
06-05-2012, 09:56 AM
vids always help with this kind of issue ...

mike75
06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't think the carb is dirty because it starts on the first pull almost every time and idles really well. I think the belt is worn. It only measures 11/16" and when I pulled the cover off there was a type of powder that I think was part of the belt. When I pulled the clutch apart there was scaring on the outside drum and moveable face as my pics show. The belt measures corretly for that model but I think there's something else going on. I'm having trouble posting pictures and vids could use some help

mike75
06-06-2012, 09:07 PM

metalstudman1
06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Is the powder drylube residue? the shiney part of the clutch bell is from lack of drylube,That area is where the weights make contact with the bell. 11/16" is only worn just a little bit so shouldn't cause excessive slippage. The weights in the clutch may be getting close to needing replacement from what I see in the top pic.

mike75
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
How often do you lube it? I only drove it maybe an hour for it to look that way. I guess it could have been lube residue. Do I need just weights or springs to??,,

metalstudman1
06-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Are you using a SPRAY DRY LUBE? Try lubing it again- spray "several" coats of dry lube (let each coat dry before re-applying more) each time you service the clutch, you'll know it needs lube when it jerks!!! or every 10 hrs is my rule of thumb, this is all dependant on how it's driven and the amount of grade it's climbing. These clutches function best when drove to WOT and stay @ WOT for several seconds for the metal to cool off before re-throttling. A putt-putt driver can kill a clutch quickly as this leaves it HOT the whole time.
You normally replace springs before the need for new weights- in the pic it didn't appear to have a lot of raised area left on the weights, when the raised area if smooth with the rest of the weight then it's time to replace them.

mike75
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
yes I'm using dry lube maybe not enough though. I will try new weights and springs and maybe a new green spring. When I took off the snap ring every thing stayed where it was, shouldn't the green spring push everything out and off?

metalstudman1
06-07-2012, 08:07 PM
There is some pressure on the driven spring but not explosive!!! untill it get's cleaned up, the helix won't want to move much off the shaft.

mike75
06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Ok tried everything and takes off great now. But still having problems when going along and the engine sounds like it's cutting out just wounding if that's how the governor works? I doesn't do it all the time or at a specific speed. The carb is clean it has fresh gas clean air fillter don't know what else it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks mike

metalstudman1
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
The govenor will give you a run-not run-run- same as a rev. limiter. The load on the engine dictates when the govenor will come in or out. If at WOT under no load you can hear the govenor working- sounds like it skips a beat!!!

mike75
06-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Is there anyway to fix the problem? or am I just stuck with it.

metalstudman1
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
If it is the govenor then you're stuck with it- unless you want to remove it.There is some tweeking that can be done to the position of the govenor arm. I never removed the govenors on our TEC's since they all ran so well, so I can't verify what you will gain with it removed or the risks involved.

mike75
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Could it be a fuel issue i.e. is there a inline fuel filter in the tank or a very small hole in the line?

mike75
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
don't think it's a fuel problem check out every today. Somebody told me today that it might be the coil is going bad. anybody have any idea? If it is the govenor that is bad I don't want to live with it. Just wounding what a good motor is for my model I would like one with decent power. also can I use the same torque converter with a new motor?

metalstudman1
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Go get the predator (212) for just over a $100. from Freight Harbor. The clutch will bolt right up. If any mod has to be done it would be getting the engine bolt holes aligned on the engine plate (possible slotting) It will give you instant power and hours of NO MAINTENANCE!!!! There is plenty of threads about this conversion here on Buggymaster.
Coils when they fail usually occurs when the motor is really hot, now if you have a lose plug wire or coil wire or kill switch wire you can have an engine that cuts out.

Zapper
06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
That was what i thought something loose or shorting.The plug wire running under the cover may be the prob.I had one on a lawnmower that would run and quit.

zman007007
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
This is a bummer, when you try to help someone like this and they never answer back, whether they solved the problem somehow, or just what they did do. I am not a newbie on sites like this, trying to help people with their problems, and then have them just dissappear like nothing happened. It is very annoying. No one learns from these experiences, and it benefits everyone when we find out what the problem was and how to solve it. So if you have a problem and its solved the least you can do is reply and let the people helping you know what you did to resove the issue, even if it means replacing the engine,etc. zman

bear
01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Agreed!

SLESTAK75
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
That's good advise zman. So I had a problem going to the bathroom last week. I added a little fiber to my diet and an extra cup of coffee and that flushed the pipes right on out. Im running like a champ now. I hope this helps. This was a dramatization.

zman007007
01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I sure hope you thought ahead and stocked up on toilet paper before planning your white throne trip. LOL zman

mike75
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I am very sorry you didn't get a reply. I never did find out what the problem was. I just bought a new engine and threw it on I didn't have time to mess with it. I did get to see my son drive it before I had to go out of state for work. I just got back home to read this. I'm sorry you had to wait a few months for a pat on the back but I thought spending time with my family before I left was more important than a websight with apparently a bunch of jerks waiting for a response. This was my first atempt at an forum and probably the last if they are all like this

Masteryota
01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
I don't think anyone was trying to be a jerk, it's just frustrating to rack our brains for ideas and options, only to not have possible answer. You are right, RL and especially family come first. There are some forums that have gotten me so intrigued with a particular mod or replacement of something that isn't bought from a store, much like anything on a spiderbox, only to see it 6 months after the last post, and no sign of the OP(original poster).

I do extend my gratitude for popping in, in your spare time, to let us know your kart is running, new engine or not.

zman007007
01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I am very sorry you didn't get a reply. I never did find out what the problem was. I just bought a new engine and threw it on I didn't have time to mess with it. I did get to see my son drive it before I had to go out of state for work. I just got back home to read this. I'm sorry you had to wait a few months for a pat on the back but I thought spending time with my family before I left was more important than a websight with apparently a bunch of jerks waiting for a response. This was my first atempt at an forum and probably the last if they are all like this

you could have just as easy came back and explained the situation like you did here and no name calling would have been required. It wasn"t meant to be all at you. look on other forums here and you will see how old some are and was never ansewered. Family time is important. zman

bear
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I apologize if you felt affended by our request. I travel almost extensively for my work too and know the value of what little family time I get, thats one of the reasons I got the buggy's in the first place to share riding with my daughter. I also know when I'm on the road at some project in the middle of nowhere, stuck in some poodunk motel with nothing to do, I appreciate the fact I can pull up this forum and see what everyone is working on and see if I can get any tips to make my rides more dependable or better in some way, I'm genuinly glad to here you where able to get the problem fixed and got the joy of seeing your son have fun on it!!! Hope you accept my appology and stick with this forum, these are good people just wanting to help.

SLESTAK75
01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
I joke. It's just me. I never mean to offend, but Abe Lincoln said it best when he said " You can please All of the people Some of the time, and you can please Some of the people All of the time, but you can never please All of the people All of the time."

bear
01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Ur really starting to "scare me"!!! lol ur sense of humor must stay in "warp" drive!hahahahahaha

SLESTAK75
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
My wife knows better than anyone but even she doesn't know the FULL extent. I sometimes will just bust out laughing at some of the junk that pops into my head that I just refuse to say out loud.
:lmao:

bear
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Listen to the "voices" I always say!!! lol

zman007007
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
First of all let me apoligize to everyone on here if I was wrong with what I said, but I will not apoligize for it. These forums are on all these sites for everyone to learn and help each other with problems with their buggies, their cars, trucks, or what ever. I never intended for him to take it personally and never called him out by name. There are a lot of sites where people never answer back. It should be just considered common coutesy if someone is trying to help you. I mean it costs you nothing but a few moments of your time, when they are taking their time away from family to help you. I also have a wife. kids and grandkids. No one here asked for a pat on the back, all we asked for was a solution to the problem. zman

bear
01-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Its cool ''zman" just "slezstak" pullin our chain, no issues! eloquent statement though!

zman007007
01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
thank you mr. bear for the kind words. zman