PDA

View Full Version : power coming and going

Zapper
06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
As you all know this Trantula has been giving me the fits.Had it running yesterday.Tried to crank today no fire,sat for a few min.and had fire.(Was cking with test plug.)Put plug wire on fired up ran out of fuel.Filed up no spark.This thing is getting closer to a 45 every day.Could the coil be breaking down,cdi,reg,stator or something ekse. :banghead:

chuckorlando
06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
If it has intermiten spark it's likely the coil or a wire connection. Our 300 had a hot on the battery come loose. It worked great, then would'nt, then would. My 180 had a coil that would give up after 5min of running. Let it cool, run like a champ for 5min

Zapper
06-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks i will ck.tomorrow if i can find a coil.

chuckorlando
06-17-2012, 04:30 AM
If you got a meter check the juice going into the coil. Then check resitance in the coil wire.

I've also had some issues with key switches. Over 12 failures to be exact. Our humidity turns the brass plate in there black. It's pretty easy to clean them. You got 3 tabs on the back of the key, First make a mark on the metal key housing and the plastic bottom. So it goes back the same.Now use a flat head and pry 2 of the 3 tabs back. Slide the back off. Pay attention to which way the plate goes. should be 3 small springs, and one plate. Springs sit in 3 small indentions, plate just sits on top of them. So shine the plate up, set it in, slide the back on and test. If you put it back right then close the 2 tabs back up.

Or just do like all mine, yank the hot after the key, run to push start, run that to the selonoid

I would first start out checking connections and fuses. If all good then break out the test light. Hot from batt, to key, then hot splits. One hot from start position to selonoid, one hot on run position to cdi. From cdi to coil. So check at the V reg, then key, then after key at cdi, then at coil

kliff
06-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me. When they get older they tend to loosen up, and corrode or tarnish like Chuck said, even inside the spade terminals. trace your power sourc to your coil, and clean or tighten every terminal in the circuit, then do the same for ALL ground circuits.
Be sure you have a good ground "jumper wire" from the engine block to the frame also. Not all buggies have them, when they all should.

Zapper
06-17-2012, 01:36 PM
:banana:You were right .It was hard to find loose connection on reg.4 wire connector.

Thanks a bunch.

chuckorlando
06-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Awesome bro. Glad it was not only fast but cheap

Zapper
06-17-2012, 05:07 PM
:cheers:Me to,seems like all the wire and connectors are fall apart.I think i will end up replacing all the wire and connectors.

Have a great day and thanks again.