PDA

View Full Version : Question - what to buy?

MAGISTER31
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I have read the reviews here on this site (VERY helpful - thank you) and I would like some more info on these great machines. I have a 9 yo son that has earned himself a go-kart through a deal he made with me. I have been looking at the 150cc units simply because I want to make sure he has something to grow into (he is a big kid anyway) and also b/c his old man would like to have a bit of fun too. With that being said, and I know this is a loaded question, but what are your experiences/ reccomendations? I would like for he and I to be able to do some trail riding too with whatever we get. I have looked at several new ones (Helix/Blue Lightning , Carbide) and a couple of used ones, and have seen the China ones as well (not sure which China brands are decent.) any help that the board can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

bige
10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
welcome, the blue lightning and the carbide are good buggys. the top 150 brands are American sportworks, Carter, Hammerhead, and kinroad. if you can find a local dealer for those then you can look, ask questions, sit in them and sometimes test drive them.

there are alot of good used units on the market now so that may be an option

BuggyMaster
10-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Any of the ones that BigE mentioned are worthy. Personally, I am partial to the American Sportworks models that you see at Tractor Supply simply because of the easy to get and inexpensive parts if ever needed. If you have buggies available near you, by all means go check them out. Sit in them and see how they feel. If used, see if you can test drive so you can get a good feel.

24evanwilson
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
im with buggymaster

MAGISTER31
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I have been by our local TSC and sat in the Carbide and the Helix. I am really torn between the two. There is also a ASW dealer near me that has a Blue Lightning in stock. From what I can tell, the BL is identical to the Helix but comes with fenders and halogens. I really like the Helix/BL for its simplicity, but I wonder if it will be able to go on trails adequately. The Carbide seems to have better ground clearance. We are not going to be rock hopping and a majority of the time we will be blazing through pastures or around the track that I plan to put in the woods around our house. I do like the fact that I am saving $400 over the Carbide with the Helix, but wonder if the Carbide is a little more safe/durable with its beefier frame. Decisions, decisions.

BuggyMaster
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Personally I'd get the lightning. Regarding trail riding, you are correct that you do get a little more clearance with the carbide however we recently took the helix trail riding and did really well with it. The other advantage of the carbide is you will have a little better turning radius. The reason I suggest the lightning is in what you mentioned the majority of your other riding will be. We had the helix and carbide at the same time and the helix spanked it in all of our tests and with the longer wheel base, it drifts better and safer. If you were doing more trail riding then anything, and the trails were tight where you are not doing a lot of top speed runs, the Carbide would be the better choice.

I'd go with the lightning over the helix for the sake of the factory lights and mudflaps. We added those things to our helix but why do that if you can get them factory already installed?

One thing I do suggest is that you look around for a used buggy. If you can find a nice one, you can save a significant amount of money. It can be tough to find a nice one though so you'll have to figure that out.

joshstep1
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Well, I have the American Sportworks Carbide, and i love it! I chose the Carbide over the Helix for its extra features and shorter wheel base, which will be better on trails. I recommend the Carbide, but Helix owners seem to really like it. But both karts are a good buy.

BuggyMaster
10-26-2009, 08:31 PM
To me it comes down to your riding environment and where you'll be doing the most riding. Also, the Carbide is absolutely a more comfortable machine. One of the most comfortable there is really. Pretty much the same thing as a hammerhead GT200.

joshstep1
10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
i have to agree with everything buggy master just said

bige
10-27-2009, 03:33 AM
yep me to

24evanwilson
10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
im say in it again
:doh:

MAGISTER31
10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Has anyone heard of this brand?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/mcy/1441174443.html

bige
10-28-2009, 02:47 PM
to the best of my knowledge, kasea has not been made in about 3 years. most parts will fit, but stuff like wire harness will have to be changed over. and if paid that much for it back then he got ripped bad

Krusekontrol
10-28-2009, 07:28 PM
If your not in to much of a hurry and you want to spend a little more for top quality. The new carter line looks wicked, BigE has the images on them.

MAGISTER31
10-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Well okay, I did it. And the winner is......the Carbide! I agonized over this one simply because the buggymaster rated the Helix so high. In the end, it all came down to capacity. If you remember, I told you that my son was a big kid. Well, he comes by it naturally, he at 9 and 92lbs, his dad at 6'3" 235lbs. When you add that up we are pushing the wieght limit on the Helix if we ride together. I took that into consideration as well as the fact that I do hope to be able to do some trail riding in this thing as well. We took it for a spin tonight and while it was a lot of fun, I can see why you guys reccommend the stage 1 upgrade (intake, jetting, exhaust). The cart definitely seemed like it needed some more air. Well I guess we are on with the upgrades! I will be scouring the board for ideas. Thanks to everyone for their help!

BuggyMaster
10-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on making an educated decision! A lot of people go into it blind. You did it right. They are a LOT of fun for sure.

You'll find plenty of upgrade info or if you like, post a thread asking what others have done.

have fun!

bige
10-30-2009, 06:15 AM
congrads. you will have fun doing the mods.