PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

peteeod
11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I've been looking at the mods for my son's new Carbide. Looking at the clutch and pulley stuff on ****, what is the difference between roller weights and slider weights?

BuggyMaster
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I believe it has to do with how they act within the variator. Generally speaking, the sliders can give you an advantage while minimizing the amount of top end speed you'll lose. Kinda like the best of both worlds. Has to do with thier physical shape. I'd suggest to go with performance sliders as opposed to rollers. For a carbide, I'd go with a 13 gram but top end is important to me because we primarily ride a flat track. I've gone with both 13's and 12's and while the 13's worked great, I felt the 12's took too much top end away for our style of riding.

joshstep1
11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I believe it has to do with how they act within the variator. Generally speaking, the sliders can give you an advantage while minimizing the amount of top end speed you'll lose. Kinda like the best of both worlds. Has to do with thier physical shape. I'd suggest to go with performance sliders as opposed to rollers. For a carbide, I'd go with a 13 gram but top end is important to me because we primarily ride a flat track. I've gone with both 13's and 12's and while the 13's worked great, I felt the 12's took too much top end away for our style of riding.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of trail riding with a lot of hills where low end torque is more important than speed, then lighter weights would be better. I've got 10 gram sliders in my Carbide. The torque is good and the speed loss was about 3-5 MPH.

24evanwilson
11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
what he said lol i do a lot of trail ridin on my grandpas land

you can go through rivers mud and all that stuff for free!

joshstep1
11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Awesome! I wish I could come out there.