PDA

View Full Version : My Joyner Project

EJ Mac
02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I should have posted this for you folks over here a lot sooner sorry for not sharing sooner. We have officially done away with all the 150's and moved on to the 250cc machines. We really liked the 150cc machines, but there were just a few things about them that I personally did not care for, so I made an executive decision to move on to the 250 family. This is a 2008 Joyner Sand Viper I picked up a little over a month ago. It was totally abused and the brakes were completely shot, so I decided to give her some much needed love and affection that she had not had in quite sometime. The pics show how it looked when it came home.

EJ Mac
02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Just to give a little background and hopefully encourage newcomers to this sport, I got into these for the first time in August 2009 and have learned quite a lot from helpful forums such as this. This is my first time taking on a project like this and am pretty pleased with the progress thus far. I wish I had the budget to paint it, but unfortunately do not. Here is what a little easy off oven cleaner and some hard work will accomplish on rattle can paint jobs.

EJ Mac
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Well we were starting to make some headway with this project and the factory yellow powdercoat was in pretty good shape, definitely acceptable for at least another year so we are gonna run with it. We may do this all over again next winter and give her a fresh new look. Some more pics of even more progress.

EJ Mac
02-20-2010, 01:16 PM
A little more progress officially in the home stretch as far as the paint stripping goes and then the reassembly begins.

roysheepdog
02-20-2010, 02:28 PM
nice job

joshstep1
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Wow, definitely a nice job.

EJ Mac
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Got a few more pics of the recent progress. Just 2 small areas left to strip and reassembly can begin.

TheJollySkipper
02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Kewl!

EJ Mac
02-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments it has definitely been an undertaking as well as a labor of love. I have learned so much just by diving in and taking this thing apart, but I am ready to get her back together. I'm just waiting on some brake parts to arrive and a little nicer weather and it will be go time on this project.

EJ Mac
02-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Got the rest of the brake parts in today, so with any luck reassembly can begin this weekend. Just gotta get a few more mods in to do while the motor is out and change the tranny fluid and in she goes. Hopefully in 2 weeks this beast will be up and running.

BuggyMaster
02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
What type of engine do those use? Like a CN250 or CFMoto?? Also, what are the physical dimensions of the buggy?

EJ Mac
02-26-2010, 01:19 AM
They use the cf moto 250cc with a Hi/Lo neutral and froward they are 6' wide by about 8' long it fits in my 85 Silverado with the gate closed. They are built like a tank and ride very smooth.

BuggyMaster
02-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow! That's awesome. I thought they may have been wider.

EJ Mac
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Well guys I hoped to have some more progress done, but it just was not in the cards this weekend. It may be a bit longer as I am seriously considering going a little more radical with this project. I am seriously considering getting the head ported, polished, and flowed as well as adding a cam to open this baby up a little more and it will be alot easier to do all this with the motor out of it.

BuggyMaster
03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Seems the best things take time. It will get there.

racemybuick
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I cant belive that yellow was hiding in there!!! looking good!!!!

keep us posted!!!

John

EJ Mac
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Buggymaster yeah it will get there I just have way too many projects as well as home repairs to do at the moment and am waiting on warmer weather to get choppin'. John believe you me it took a while to find that yellow.

jpman
03-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Congrats on your find EJ. Seems like us "okies" can't leave anything stock for long! lol Enjoy your project and take your time, it will come together.

EJ Mac
03-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Congrats on your find EJ. Seems like us "okies" can't leave anything stock for long! lol Enjoy your project and take your time, it will come together.
Thanks. I could already have it done but I'm waiting to see if I can raise some more funds so I can go a little more radical with the motor as well as the fact that I have 2 other buggies that run really strong at the moment. Where are you located in Oklahoma? May need to hook up and ride sometime.

EJ Mac
03-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Got the front suspension and the steering components back on. Also got the overflow nipple on the radiator epoxied. We were gonna take it to the car wash Sat. but got hammered by a snowstorm, some first day of Spring. As soon as we can get it washed it will be back together and running in no time.

PAbuggy
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
EJ Mac nice work looks great hope you get it up and running soon.

EJ Mac
04-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Got a little more accomplished. She is finally starting to look like a buggy again. I'm gonna start on the brakes today and hopefully get real close to having her finished up on Monday if everything goes well.

JakeTheSnake
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Excellent job on the refurb EJ Mac!

alsdaboss
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
the difference is profound, can't wait to see it finished.

kliff
04-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Great job, I'm sure the original owner would'nt even recognize it!

EJ Mac
04-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I was sure hoping to be further along by now. I got the front brakes installed as well as the master cylinder. Then got hit and found another bad rear caliper as well as 2 bad cv axle bearings in the passenger side trailing arm, not to mention the hard drive on my computer going out. These stupid expenses cost me my tire and UNI money as well as a variator.

Krusekontrol
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
It came out great EJ! must be nice to finally get it done.

EJ Mac
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Well over the last month I made some more headway. Got the new bearings in the passenger side trailing arm and this project is 85% complete. Waiting for a donated master cylinder and the front tires are shot. Hopefully gonna have this thing fired up next weekend. Here are some pics pf the progress