PDA

View Full Version : China made 200cc kart - cant get chain tight

Michigan Mudd
01-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Was only able to find 1 utube video about a similar kart setup https://youtu.be/6ddACfapUQ4

When i did these steps it did very little.

Is it possible for my chain to stretch? And i need to shorten it?

neo71665
01-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Chains are a wear item and stretch. If it is to the point you have to remove links to shorten it then it needs to be replaced. You also need to inspect the sprockets to make sure they are not worn and still in usable shape. If you don't know how to tell post a picture and somebody will be able to.

SYCARMS
01-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Agree with neo71665. Pull the chain, make sure no links bind. If rusty and or gritty soak overnight in some diesel than clean with either a chain brush or any stiff brush. If there were binding links check to make sure they don't bind. Grab 2 adjoining links and push together and pull away, if any play is observed replace the chain. Check both sprockets for wear. Teeth should not come to a point, they should have flat tips. If pointed replace sprockets. Sprockets and chain will last many miles and years if regularly cleaned and lubed which the majority don't do. Dirt and rust is no friend to chains or sprockets.

x-bird
01-21-2018, 05:39 PM
that vid shows a setup very similar to what i replicated with my daughters. The main engine hangar bolt has a nut on top and underneath the plate on the swingarm. you have to loosen the top nut, then go underneath and run the nut on the underside clockwise to move it closer to the engine. Then you can use the adjuster on the right to pull the engine upwards to tighten the chain. If you don't run that underside nut down the shaft, it will not get any tighter.

in the pic below, you can't see the underside nut on the left, its hidden by the tubing.