PDA

View Full Version : Help with NST (Roketa/Kinroad) GY6 clone exhaust

draddison2000
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hello, all! New member here. Just a little help, if anyone can offer it...

I have a 110cc(?) NST-branded two-seater. It is a GY6 clone (electric start, headlights/brake light/rollcage etc). Might actually be a Kinroad or a Roketa. Two forward speeds w/reverse. My question is this - the muffler has broken off at the mid point of the exhaust pipe (again). Don't want to weld (I've done it once before), just want to replace the entire muffler assembly with the correct unit (an aftermarket upgrade would be great). Any ideas on where to purchase such an animal? Will gladly buy from a forum member/sponsor. Also, the lights have never worked, any ideas on how to check the wiring? Thanks in advance for being kind to a noob...:D

Edit: added photo (found in this forum). My muffler looks about identical to the one on the top right of the photo (not the shiny, nice carbon fiber one)

PAbuggy
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
your 110 is not a gy6 can you post some pics once we know what you have we may be able to help you.

draddison2000
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Here are a few pics (from the mfr. site)

http://www.nstmotor.com/gk125k.htm

Any help is greatly appreciated. What is this engine? A Honda clone or GY6?

Here is a link to the current unit of the model I purchased 3 years ago (virtually identical). This is the company I purchased from...

http://www.globaltrailer.net/110cc-Go-Kart-p/110cc%20go%20kart.htm

PAbuggy
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I really don't know much about these engines i think they are a honda clone. I do know they use these engines in pit bikes so there sould be mods available for them.

draddison2000
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, PAbuggy. I'm currently checking into several options. Gotta say, for as cheap as this thing was (I paid under $1k for it in April 2007), it's been fun and reliable for my boy. Only real trouble has been this muffler's tendency to snap off under hard driving... Sheesh.

olderthan
03-16-2010, 09:17 PM
look on ebay
olderthan

BuggyMaster
03-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Does the pipe itself break where it goes into the muffler or something? I mean is it breaking at some kind of joint?

draddison2000
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
BuggyMaster,

It continually breaks off about midway down the header pipe itself, leaving about 7" of the pipe sticking out of the head. It's been welded three times now (same spot) and I've grown more than tired of the same situation. Just seems like a cheap piece of junk (the entire assembly), thus my interest in just replacing the whole thing... Thanks...

ckau
03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
BuggyMaster,

It continually breaks off about midway down the header pipe itself, leaving about 7" of the pipe sticking out of the head. It's been welded three times now (same spot) and I've grown more than tired of the same situation. Just seems like a cheap piece of junk (the entire assembly), thus my interest in just replacing the whole thing... Thanks...

The metal has become brittle from heat. no use to try again. it will just break again at the edge of a previous weld. Best to replace the whole system. It's the same exhaust as used on some gy6's . Pm me if you want a contact for ordering a new exhaust.

metalstudman1
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I've run many a 50cc-125cc Honda horizontal clone and broke the exhuast on all of them-I tried rubber bushings at the muffler mounts and added additional bracing and sleeved the broken pipes only to have it fail. I bought an aftermarket pipe and broke it too (pipe was a little thicker). Tired of re-welding them as you were and through desperation to keep them driving I took the stock pipes from 2 old Honda 125 3-wheelers I had parted out and they worked like a champ and the kids were up and running immediately. The real Honda exhaust has twice the thickness of pipe (close to schedule 40). The configuration of the pipe wasn't an issue for me as my kart's are home-built. Any new or used Honda horizontal motor from scooters to ATV's should work as the exhaust port is similar in diameter from 50cc - 125cc.Keep in mind the Honda flange is much thicker so you may need to install longer studs/bolts, you can get them at most auto parts store. Note- the flanges on the starters break pretty easily from impacts too- Great inexpensive motors though!

draddison2000
03-18-2010, 09:18 PM
metalstudman1,

Thanks for the pointer! Much oblige. I'll look around my area for a Honda assembly, shouldn't be hard to find.