PDA

View Full Version : carbide 150cc no spark need help

gabby gail
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
got my grandson a carbide 150cc last year it ran fine most of last summer then it sat for two weeks and now it will not start . battery has good charge but no spark to the plug. thanks for any help.

PAbuggy
03-22-2010, 10:04 PM
welcome to the forum you may have already checked this but the carbide has 2 kill switches one on your dash and one on the black electrical box right over top of the engine .One of these could of been pushed or hit by something while it was sitting this will kill your spark. I would also check all your wires for a lose connection these little buggys are none for poor wireing.

gabby gail
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
thanks i will check wiring . buggy only has 10 hrs on it .did not know how to check the cdi or stator for power. if anyone has a wiring diagram for the carbide that might help to narrow it down.i have one from a early post but it did not match the carbide wiring. and thanks for the welcome.i don't get to post much but i got a lot of good info from other post. great site!

PAbuggy
03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Look under 150cc gy6 under engin tech on this site there is a sticky at the top of the page helix service manual this is the same as your carbide.You can pull up the electrical manual from there.

swamp rat
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
My Carbide just shut down after riding late one night, it has a set of 55w lights from the auto parts store in place of the originals. I have changed the CDI box twice, the first one had a pin hole open and it smoked, I changed everything but the coil and now I smell the burnt electronics again. I have disconnected the headlights from the factory wiring and put in another CDI, voltage regulator and solenoid and I get no spark. I tested the kill switch with a test light, it appears to be an Open circuit if I did it correctly, then I push the button, it closes the circuit and the light illuminates so I know the kill switch is good. It cranks and cranks but no spark when the plug is in just hanging in boot.
I am open to suggestions.

BuggyMaster
01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Where did you get the CDI box from? Carbides and Helix machines are unique in that they use a DC based CDI box. Most other machines (and therefore most other CDI boxes) are not wired the same way.

swamp rat
01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Hate to admit it but I bought one on eBay and the other online, I read the forums and see I had a DC due to the wiring of my unit and mine being bigger than the one in below image, although I could be wrong. My motor has three wires for the big plug and a single wire to the small plug.

I still smell the burnt electronics as I touch everything and now my fingers have absorbed that stench.

Any recommendation on where to order these online?

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/LynnEdwards_photo/CDI_Pinout.jpg

GX150
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Mc Donough Powersports and Buggy Depot have the DC CDI's.