PDA

View Full Version : helix 150 with no top end

jimd
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Just picked up a helix 150. Seller could not get it to run long enough to even pull forward.
He had the choke loose. I reattached it, needled on the carb, and can get about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. If I manually choke it by covering part of the intake, it will take the whole throttle, otherwise it sounds like it's starving for fuel.

I work on antique tractors for a living, so to me it sounds a plugged passage in the carb. But that little pump has me concerned that it may be the problem. Any thoughts?

jimd
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
forgot to mention, air cleaner and fan shroud not currently installed, previous owner handed them to me when I purchased the buggy. Could they contribute to the problem?

KID4LIFE
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
have you tried different jets in it yet? i agree, sounds like it's starving if you are choking off the air and it runs better.

jimd
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Haven't even pulled the carb for a good cleaning yet.
I bought the cart before I was really ready. I saw it locally for $400 and my boys agreed to work to pay for it. But I didn't want to miss it, so I payed and they will get to ride it when they earn the money. So I has made 4 laps around the yard, and parked in the barn.

Don't worry, they are at about $200 in 2 days, it won't take long.

jimd
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Supposedly, itran fine, and was parked for 2 years. I can't even be sure the prvous owner put fresh gas in it. It had 1/2 tank that smalle frsh, but I will dump it out and fill it up in the next couple of days.

olderthan
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
i would start by pulling and cleaning the carb
welcome to the group
olderthan

BuggyMaster
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
About 98% of the machines that sit will need the carb cleaned. Just the nature of the beast. Pretty easy job. Be sure that you do not try to clean that pilot jet with a drill bit or anything. Very small passage.

SYCARMS
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Buggymaster is right. You need to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. You will also want to pull the tank and clean as well, while paying attention to the fuel valve since it should have a fine mesh filter which also gets clogged. From what you described you are not getting enough fuel probably due to the main jet or passage being clogged. My opinion is to purchase a gallon of carburetor dip and when carb is totally disassembled soak it over night than clean with carb cleaner and compressed air, this will assure that all of the very small passages are free of buildup. TOM

jimd
04-19-2010, 06:03 PM
pulled down the carb, and cleaned it well. No change has a 114 jet. too small?

PatNY
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Try this:

1. Check for air leak by the Intake
Spray some carb. cleaner and see if there's any response change
(may need a new Intake Manifold)

2. Clean Carburetor (let it soak over night)

3. Drain & Clean Fuel Tank
(Might need a new Petcock)

4. Get a New Fuel Filter and clean/buy a Fine Mesh Filter

5. Check the floats in the carb.
(Might be stuck)

6. To be in the safe side, buy some new main jets, pilot jets
and a new spark plugs to tune it up.

I don't know what mods were done to it, but if the stock air
box was removed and replaced with something like a UNI then
go with bigger jets.

jimd
04-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Will do. Where can I buy new jets?

PatNY
04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Any of the trusted dealers from this forum

BuggyMaster
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
114 is stock size.

American Sportworks has strange carbs. Whoever machines them is not very consistent. I had a brand new one that just wasn't machined right and would run funny. No way around it other than to buy a new carb for it in that particular case. Talk to Tom at SYC Powersports and find out how much a new carb is. That will eliminate that as your issue. Based on what you are telling me, the carb itself would be a good starting point. When you get one with bad machining, the only thing you can reasonably do is replace it and like I said, I have seen them bad in brand new form.

jimd
04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
It supposedly ran well before being parked for 2 years. So I was really expecting to find something gummed.

jimd
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Found the problem. I pulled the carb apart agaoing, and really looked at the jets. The main I could just barely see through. I used Progressively larger wires until I managed to push through with resistance, and then the next few sizes didn't resist at all.
Plumbed it all back up and just ran it, though i the barn. Predicting rain for next 3 days, but hopefully it will be ready when the eather clears up.
Now to find me a toy.
JImD

olderthan
04-21-2010, 09:58 AM
glad you got it running
olderthan