PDA

View Full Version : help me decide

jimd
04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
My boys are loving the hleix, and once I get the carb straightened out, they will be even happier. So I decided mom and I need our own ride.

The following are both available locally and within $50 of each other.
The yerf dog has similar carb problems, but the blue one (brand?) has cut-up seats.

Any pro/cons to either?
I'm 6' 240lbs by the way, so the leg-room on the helix is a bit short.

olderthan
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
i like the blue one
yerf dogs are smaller and need loads of
front end mods. and new shocks if you run them
hard at all seat covers can be got at oreilys
or autozone or walmart post a bigger pic
of the blue one
olderthan

jimd
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately that's the largest pic I have.
Here's the rest of the photos on the blue one. He calls it a "baja buggy" but I don't know if he made up that name, or it's on a label somewhere.

olderthan
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
go for the baja
its a good buggy
and it will do well
yerf dogs often have weld's
breaking
olderthan

jimd
04-20-2010, 02:35 PM
After driving 1 1/2 hrs each way.....
Reverse handle, cable, and rear disc all missing, front end loose, brakes shot. I offered $400 and he complained that he woulnd't be making any money that way. So... 1 1/2 drive home, empty.

olderthan
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
sorry about that
what area do you live in
olderthan

BuggyMaster
04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
that is a bummer. I would have voted for the baja as well. If you look at the pictures of the yerf, you can see that the front end spindles are already wearing. No prob, just keep looking.

jimd
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm near Tulsa.

EJ Mac
04-21-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm near Tulsa.

Hey Bro what is your budget? I live in Skiatook and will keep my eyes peeled for you just let me know your budget.

jimd
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I was really happy with the helix for $400. Not sure how special a deal it was, but I'm happy. I could do $500 comfortably, or $600 if it something really special. My bos just finished paying me back for thiers, so I have the cash burning a hole.

EJ Mac
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I was really happy with the helix for $400. Not sure how special a deal it was, but I'm happy. I could do $500 comfortably, or $600 if it something really special. My bos just finished paying me back for thiers, so I have the cash burning a hole.

I'll keep my eyes out, but will say deals like you got on the helix are pretty few and far between in our area. They used to be out there more often but I have not seen many steal deals out there in a while. The base line for a real good used one seems to be close to a $1000 these days from what I've seen. Even at that they just are not popping up like they used to. I sold 3 150's around Christmas from $925-1100.

chuckorlando
04-23-2010, 04:10 PM
It's riding season so prices go up. Winter and around and after xmas is when the good deals are out. But you can find one. I wont buy anything but a deal brother you just gotta keep at it.

jimd
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Things may be looking up. The baja owner decided to accept my $500 offer. I'm going tomorrow to look at it again, and see if it wil shift into revers, since it has no cable or lever. I expect it to be coming home though.

olderthan
04-24-2010, 09:38 AM
jimd if you get this buggy pm me i know
who stocks reverse cables and calipers
olderthan

Rarerat
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I think I would lean towards the Yerf dog myself. My daughter has one and although I dont know anything about the other kart you are looking at, I have really been impressed with her Yerf Dog in general. Aside from one bent spindle that took about 30 mins. to repair, it has given us Zero problems and been a great kart.

Good luck :)

chuckorlando
04-24-2010, 01:01 PM
A yerf is not even close to the Baja. The baja has some weak hiem joints but you can prder the bigger 14mm from Tomberlin. Baja and Tomberli are the exact same ride just one has a few stronger parts. Both the baja and the yerf run howit motors which has a larger intake than most gy6 motors and also has a smaller final gear for a bit more torque. The yerf is lite but the entire front end is a week point. Lats year at the buggy bash we had one yerf fail at both ball joints and another the whole spindle blew apart. Not broke but blew apart. You can up grade the yerf front through buggy depot. The yerf is lower to the ground, less travel, smaller wheels, and just not as well built

olderthan
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
chuck is right
baja is a good cart good power
add-on for strenght are stock tomberline
parts and all after market parts work
well on it
olderthan

Rarerat
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
OK guys sorry, the only real buggy experience I have aside from the Honda Odysseys I have owned, is with the Yerf Dog we bought my daughter last Christmas. :o

chuckorlando
04-24-2010, 04:26 PM
No need for sorry brother. The yerf is a good ride but if you want to do some hard riding it takes some upgrading. lus it has no reverse. So adding the front end and reverse your looking at 500 on top of the cost of the buggy.

jimd
04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
PM sent olderthan.
Now that's its home, I know I need the following:
Front Brake lines and pads.
New battery cables since the melted on the exhaust!
Gonna have to resolve the seat issue too!

Big torque difference between the helix, and the baja. But still too much top end, I need more torque for our style of riding.

EJ Mac
04-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Bro glad to hear you got it. How many teeth are on your axle sprocket? If you need any advice or help feel free to ask. BTW where do you ride at, as I have been looking for some riding places as well as people to ride with around here? You can get a hold of me pretty quick by sending me a PM.

olderthan
04-24-2010, 09:53 PM
pmed you back
olderthan