PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to the forum

Pogo
05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Ok I need some advice.I am new to this forum.My first post.I am thinking of buying my first buggy.Looks like the budget will limit me to a 150.If it proves to be to be too small in the future it will easier to upgrade to a bigger one.Any way after spending lots of time looking on the net I think it has boiled down to either the American Sports Works Quantum or the Hammerhead 150 GT.Anyone have any opinions on either one.As I said I am brand new to this.Never even rode in one.I would reall appreciate any comments on either or both. Thanks Pogo
P.S I am about 200lbs

BuggyMaster
05-17-2010, 08:43 PM
$150 is going to buy you a project but sometimes you get lucky and run across someone that is willing to uload theirs because they don't use it. Either one of those machines is a good machine and will be lots of fun.

Pogo
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks.I pretty much have to buy new.I am in Canada and shipping and custom costs kill anything used from the U.S.and nothing up here.But that's ok cause I can run it a while and see what it will do.Then maybe wrench it into something better.

chuckorlando
05-18-2010, 05:53 AM
I think he meant his budget will only buy a 150, not that he only has 150 for a budget. Hammer head is up there I believe

BuggyMaster
05-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Good reason to wear my reading glasses....

Being that HH has quite a presence in Canada, I think you will do rather well with them.

Still waiting for one of you northern guys to get into that new 500cc machine and tell us about it!

bige
05-18-2010, 07:53 AM
my wife has a hammerhead 150gt, it's a 2006 model and has been a very good buggy. both the asw and hh are very good choice's. with a few simple mods they will do just about anything you want them to

Pogo
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks very much for your replies.Looks like I am on the right track.HH is haveing a big show up here this week end.He says he has a new one with just a few hrs. on it and is willing to talk a deal.I guess it just a matter of hammering out the right $$$$ deal.Thanks all.

bige
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I would get the gts150 if possible

Pogo
05-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Ok thanks again.Will let you know how the week end goes.If he gives me a good enough deal I may come home with it.I was out looking at the Manco again this afternoon.Pretty sweet looking machine.Don't know ??????.Will keep you informed.

chuckorlando
05-19-2010, 05:21 AM
The hh is way better than a manco

joshstep1
05-19-2010, 06:09 AM
The hh is way better than a manco

You mean ASW?

chuckorlando
05-19-2010, 07:35 AM
You said you were going to an HH show but were looking at a manco. The hh is better than both manco and asw. In fact the only buggy's in it's class are Joyner, Carter, Kinroad, and maybe a few roketa/bms

olderthan
05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
if you get a good deal buy the hh

joshstep1
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
You said you were going to an HH show but were looking at a manco. The hh is better than both manco and asw. In fact the only buggy's in it's class are Joyner, Carter, Kinroad, and maybe a few roketa/bms

But ASW is Manco.

chuckorlando
05-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Man I'm confusing Dazon with Manco because we call my buddy mancoman but he drives a Dazon. Sorry man. Either way, the hh is better

Pogo
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Ok, but why is the HH supposed to be so much better tham ASW. cause I don't know.I still think I like the looks of the ASW better. And it has a speedo rear view mirror.No big deal but something.And a 6ft high flag.Let me know. Thanks

Pogo
05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
But what really talks is $$$$$$$.Will keep you informed on what I do

chuckorlando
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
The HH turns better than any buggy on the market that I know of. I own a hh250, crossfire 180, and Joyner 250. I've driven gtr250, gtr300, kinroad300, Baja reaction, yerf dog, and a hand full of others. None turn as good. The only down side to my hh is the struts. I hate struts on any buggy though. This is why I think the crossfire is one of the best 150's you can get. If the buggy your looking at is geared like the carbide then it's a dog. The hh will almost certainly have better gearing.

ASW has 21-10-10 rears, 522lbs, and 30 day waranty.
The HH has a canopy, adjustable stearing wheel, 415lb, 22-10-10, and 6 month waranty

Pogo
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Ok thanks.Your right about the tire size.Don't know enough about the gearing.Your seem to know.Maybe ill get in touch with ASW and ask them.Anyone else want to give me there opinion.I appreciate all the info I am getting.I may be going to that MM meet to morrowit it is still on.Will let you know.

Pogo
05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Forgot to mention.The steering is really a big thing cause I plan on being in the bush a lot.Both have adjustable seering.Canopy no big deal.Gearing is inportant.Speedo is nice but not that big od deal.How good are the parts supply in Canada fot HH.ASW has a big plant in the US that have all the parts and are easily shipped.Don't look at my typos.Thanks again

bige
05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
the hh is geared lower than the asw, parts are not a problem for any of those

olderthan
05-20-2010, 12:13 PM
hh is a major presence in canada
parts should be easy to get

chuckorlando
05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Seems Canada is the home of the HH. I know about the gearing from going to our Bash's. When we were in Ky in Oct my buddy had a carbide that had a full cvt set up. Yet he still needed towed up some trail hills. Not small hills mind you but ones others with cvt mods could pull. Then in Tn in Mar, he had the big sproket and it was a dream.

Pogo
05-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for there advice.still have not made up my mind.It is still between HH GST or AMS Quamtum.I have looked at both manuals for them and they are virtually the same machine.People who own them say that the AMS is quicker off the line but the top end is about the same for both.HH claims there tops speed is less than what AMS claim for theirs.??????I don't know if that meet that was going to happen to morrow is on or not.Can't get in touch with the guy.But I am sure it is going to be one or the other.Going to look on the net to see if there are any HH dealers up here.Keep you informed.Thanks again

wiggle waggle
07-02-2010, 01:47 AM
i got a manco which is the same thing as ams and i love mine its a little weak in steering but has a great engine (subaru robin i dont really know if the qauntum has a subaru though) virtually indestructable i put it through hell and back and it still runs great