PDA

View Full Version : My first ride

Pogo
05-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I was telling you guys and girls that I was going out to day to try my hand at buggy rideing.Well I went out and what a blast.If you don't ride in one nobody can tell you what it is like.Well the salesman unloads it and it won't start.Then the BS, well it has been sitting a long time BLA BLA BLA.Anyway he finely gets it kinda running.He says it is a brand new machine only been used in parades.No air cleaner on it ,the air box is gutted and a few other things look funny.So anyway he gets it going good enough for me to get into it.Then I take off.Well I tell you first time on one and I beat the snot out of it.Went through a pretty good mud hole fast.That worked so when I came back I stopped in the middle of the mud hole.No problem.Went up some really steep burms maybe 5 feet.They had a bit of an approach to them.No problem.The I tried a couple 3 or 4 ft high with no approach straight up at the face.Not fas enough.Stuck.First time I got out lifted and pushed the front end and off it came and away I go.Next one a little higher again not enough speed and hung her up between both wheels lije a titter totter.Some guy sees me comes over to help me and pushes from the back when I am in front of the buggy.He gets off but the damm thing runs over me.Not his fault.I am home now whith a hole in my leg from the tie rod bolt.OkI don't know if anybody is going to read this.Any way he wants 2 grand for the machine.What year is it.He says they are all the same.MMMMM.Maybe a 208 or 9 or brand new.(remember the parade thing)I think it is a good machine.But what do I know cause it is the first one I have ever driven.I don't like the BS,I dont like not haveing a speedo(just me)The steering has 2 U joints at weird angles before it get to the rack and pionion.Looka little beat up.A lot more when I brought it back.He wants two grand for it.For 2600 I can gat a brand new ASW with more stuff and I think better laid out.Oh one last thing I guess I was gone so long he phoned me 2 time on my cell.HA HA it was in the car.So now if you have read all this give me some feed back.I am gonna buy.Just like to hear from anybody.If you have read all this I am sure you have something to say.Thanks all

EJ Mac
05-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I personally would not pay $2000 for a machine that has not had an air filter on it. As for the speedo you will not find one with an accurate speedo just invest in a gps if you really need to know how fast you are going. I gotta agree with BigE and Chuck Hammerhead GTS150 if you can swing it.

Pogo
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Yea me too.He makes a good point that all the plastic that makes it look so good will get broken in the bush.Plus the $$$$.Budget Budget Budget.Your right about the speedo.Doesn't have to be correct just has too look pretty.Ever try to read a GPS when moving in a buggy.A little shakey I think.All the comments I have gotten back and all the specks I have read I think it is a toss of a coin which one is better.I think they are both good.

olderthan
05-21-2010, 10:46 PM
no air filter would scare me
dirt going into motor could be eating the rings
fouling the carb and no telling what else

SYCARMS
05-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Run one of these engines without an air filter for just a couple hours and the rings are worl slap out Gaurantee!! TOM

Pogo
05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Yea I totaly agree as well as valve guides cylinder walls,every thing.Dirt is a reall killer and fast too.It does't take too long to do a lot of damage.Plus there were other little things.Like rust starting in the corners of the upper and lower control arms.May be nothing but could be very fine cracks starting.Brakes were ok but not really good but thay may be normal.I don't know.Has no neutral.Thats another negative.Has no kill switch on the motor so if you have to shut it down fast when your working on it you have to reach into the buggy.All just little things but they add up.They would really bug me.$2000.I can get a ASW in a crate for $2600.on sale.I thing they have the same motor.Maube someone can let me know on that.Thanks again

BuggyMaster
05-22-2010, 01:14 PM
From what you have written, you may be happier in an ASW Carbide. It has the speedo too.

EJ Mac
05-22-2010, 02:00 PM
The carbide should be fine as well from what I understand they were built like the old Hammerhead 200.

chuckorlando
05-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I would'nt pay 2000 for a used 150. Yes they have the same engine. The carbide is a good buggy. If you like it, then get it. Your not gonna go wrong either way.

olderthan
05-22-2010, 06:06 PM
both motors are the same

Pogo
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
First, I want to thank everyone for all there advice. It has helped a lot. I hope I don't piss any body off cause I didn't go there way. But everybodys input was helpfull. So thanks again. I think I have decided on the Quantum. I know it is the same machine as the Carbide. No idea why they make one machine and put 2 different names on it. Maybe one is for ths U.S. and the other for Canada. Like I have said in my other post a lot of little things added up that made me pick the Quantum.So be it good or bad that's what I am going with. Now I am haveing trouble getting one. The store that I was going to buy it from sold it and they don't know when ther going get another one. They did a search and another branch has one so to morrow I have to get on the blower And get my hooks on it if I can. Thanks again to all the guys and gals for helping me make up my mind. Will keep you posted

chuckorlando
05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Good deal. Hope you find one at the store. Both are good buggy's, it just comes down to the small things like you said

kliff
05-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Where are you located? HF in Augusta had a new '07 still last week, 1600.00( Manco Carbide), I'll bet way less would take it home, cash in hand.

Pogo
05-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey kliff dont know if you were talking to me or not. Maybe you answered the wrong person. But I am in Canada.Can't bring anything up from the U.S. The shipping,the dollar differece,customs.Buy the time it gets to me it is close to double the cost. I am a retire shade tree guy myself and I am a professional,at anything I want to be.