PDA

View Full Version : Helix idle

supertoast92
06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, my kart's been running excellent for the past month or so since we replaced the CVT parts, now I'm just tearing down to the smaller so-to-say "nuisances" rather than problems. The idle is where I'm starting.

When I first start it up cold I have to give it a bit of gas for about 30 seconds until it'll hold an idle without stalling, and I have to give it a tiny bit of gas every time I stop to prevent it from stalling. This is for the first 5-10 minutes of operation.

Once I get past the engine warming up, the idle tends to be so high that I can't put it in gear without shutting it off first, in other words it's definitely too high. The most interesting part is when I stop the idle seems normal, but after a few seconds the rpm takes off like it's going to a high-idle to keep warm, without pressing the petal at all.

I've sprayed some carb cleaner into the carburetor, which I think did help a little bit. I think I'll have to do it again in a day or so to free the linkages after running about 2 or 3 years straight.

I've been looking under the service manual, which states something about an "air adjusting screw." Now, is this the same screw as the "main idle adjusting screw" which is basically on top of the carburetor? I've been playing with the main screw on top, making tiny adjustments here and there, but is there another screw I should be looking at adjusting?

BuggyMaster
06-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Here's where the idle mixture screw is.

http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129

What "main screw on top" are you referring to?

supertoast92
06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Ah, that link seems to be a completely different place than from what I've been fiddling with. I'm turning the idle screw which simply fine tunes the throttle's resting point.