PDA

View Full Version : please explain

goatboy976
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
not understanding belt drive system ive notice on both pulleys there is movement what i mean is when the belt is off the pulley on the crank can freely open wider or close and for the the clutch the pulley has a spring that closes it when the belt is removed guess what im asking is with the blet in place is the movement there and is that a way of the belt keeping tension before getting this buggy all ive ever messed with was a yard cart just a clutch on the motor and chain to the axle if someone can aexplain that would be great thanks

metalstudman1
06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Depending on the type CVT you have - TAV type or Variator type. Here's a link to Kid-me's you tube explaination for the variator type changing the sliders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DadACJjrz0
If you are using the TAV type I can try to explain-
Clutch at the engine crank starts out small and as rpm's increase the clutch closes in on the belt and drives the belt upward to increase the ratio.Reason for this is that as the motors rpm's increase it can overcome the load of a larger ratio without bogging down. As the front pulley increases in ratio the driven unit decreases in ratio by driving the belt downward toward the bottom of the shaft to produce more speed less torque.Same principal as your axle sprocket-small sprocket ="higher topend speed with less torque", larger axle sprocket = "slower topend speed increased torque and climbing ability". Does this make sense?

goatboy976
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
yeah does make sense now thats its explained i just wasnt sure as to why they opened and closed like i noticed im still use to the old 5hp yard kart with no cvt just chain from clutch to the axle thanks for the info

BuggyMaster
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Ironically, the video I made last year showing the torque converter in action is our second most watched video of all time. Here it is below:

pptnRGTH_XA

metalstudman1
06-18-2010, 11:39 PM
sorry Buggymaster- His set up was a variator setup or half of one!!!!