PDA

View Full Version : how to measure axle?

mancofunkart
07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
i need to order a new axle and im not sure if i measure thread to thread or what.

BuggyMaster
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
You'll need to contact the vendor and find out how they measure it.

Axles can get tricky. In a lot of cases, the original replacement axles aren't even available. What I have done in the past is measured my bad axles, then went to Northern Tool and looked through their axles to find one that matches. If they have one the correct length but wrong threads, I have actually bought the proper die and rethreaded the threaded area. Was a huge PITA but the only way to get a new axle.

Genuine replacement axles can get expensive too. Is yours bent?

mancofunkart
07-14-2010, 03:25 PM
yes its on my dingo and its bent and i called am sportworks and the part is obsolete.

Pogo
07-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I bet if you went to a machine shop they could fab you one up for about the same price as a new one. They could tell how hard a material it is as well.

mancofunkart
07-15-2010, 07:55 AM
well im looking at around $41 plus shipping and handling if i order online, but how much would you think a machine shop would charge?

Pogo
07-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I am not sure but probabley more than that.You would have to take the old one in and let them see it.But I was mentioned it in case you could not find one and were stuck. I have used machine shops in the the past and had good luck at a reasonable price.Just an idea.

Pogo
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
A other idea is to have it staightened.Someone with a good press and a little finess should be able to do a good job.

mancofunkart
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
do you think the axle would still be pretty strong. i really dont do alot of hard riding mainly just open fields and street riding.

mancofunkart
07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
im really interersted in just having it straightened if thats the case.

Pogo
07-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Actually that's what I would go for. Have it staightened. I am not sure but I don't think it would even have to be dead on perfect. Be better if it was but a little out I don't think you would notice less your really into high speed stuff. Let us know how you make out.