BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   post upgrade report (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5010)

wildbob 06-05-2014 08:44 AM

post upgrade report

Okay, I took my stock TM 150XRX upgraded the crap out of it over the winter, and finally got to take it on the trails last weekend. Well, the 4V head i think probably gives it the most noticeable boost. That thing pulls like crazy. Top speed has improved but my speedo stopped working (someone might have forgot to tighten the flat nut on the sensor... :biglaugh: )but it was still pulling at 39 MPH. I love the traitech vapor, but the engine temp display doesn't always work ( it either gives the temp or says "----") I might have to re-time my valves too. I thought I could hear a little tapping coming from the head when I pulled it up on the trailer, and it looks like it yakked a little oil out the uni head breather filter.. Also, I need to secure my intake, I now see how the old intake connector got torn, but the radiator hose I replaced it with is much stronger. Not having much experience with CVT transmissions, it's tough to tell where the engine mod performance gains end and the Dr. Pulley upgrade gains start, as I did all at once. All in all, I happy so far. Next is SHOCKS!!

mb1134 06-05-2014 10:01 AM

Nice. Hoping I can figure out why mine keeps missing/cutting in out at wot. Then if I can find some valve cover bolts im bolting that 4-valve on. Hope you enjoy it, and again thanks!

wildbob 06-05-2014 10:16 AM

Turns out I might have to press left button+Mode button to wake the temp sensor on the trailtech up and it wouldn't register under 150 F or so anyway. I wish I had gone with the Taida heads as they have bigger valves and I haven't heard people complain about them puking oil out the breather, but not big on my list right now.

mb1134 06-05-2014 10:48 AM

Yeah, my trailtech doesn't register til its near 150 or a little lower. I had to hold the buttons down to make the vapor recognize it when I first installed it.

x-bird 06-05-2014 12:32 PM

engine temp has to be above 100 degrees when you hold the two buttons down to reset it.

xlint89 06-05-2014 06:18 PM

Wildbob, what 4 valve head did you install? (name)

Coming from someone who has seen 2 Taida large valve heads, don't regret your dicision too much. Their quality controls isn't all it's cracked up to be. (that's why I've seen 2 of them, I sent the first one back)

jmansracerocket 06-05-2014 09:34 PM

I heard the 4 valve makes decent power but I don't like how u don't get a camshaft option, and then u have more valve train to worry about. I cant see for the $$ that it would make that much more power then a ported and polished head 2v, with a cam selection only way would to tell for sure would be to test the combos against each other.

xlint89 06-05-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmansracerocket (Post 41845)
I heard the 4 valve makes decent power but I don't like how u don't get a camshaft option, and then u have more valve train to worry about. I cant see for the $$ that it would make that much more power then a ported and polished head 2v, with a cam selection only way would to tell for sure would be to test the combos against each other.

Pretty sure you can use any of the standard cams with the 4 valve head.

The rocker arm "Y"'s off while you still have only one lobe for INT and EXH.

Check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAIDA-HIGH-P...c8f715&vxp=mtr

wildbob 06-09-2014 09:35 AM

Yeah, I'm not too worried about cam choice as this baby seems to tear it up pretty good now. This was the first real ride (besides a quick lap around the yard) since the rebuild, so maybe the heat-up/cooling loosened the valves a bit, but there's definitely seems like there is a slight tappity-tappity-tap coming from the head. It could be completely my imagination, but i don't remember hearing it before my trip to the trails. Still cant get my temp sensor to work, guess I'll have to check the wire to the sensor, which unfortunately is shrink tubed and zip tied. The 4v head is a Ruima/Hoca in case anyones curious. I had two and gave one to MB1134.

xlint89 06-10-2014 12:20 AM

So far I like the Ruima products.

Did you check your valve adjustment?

wildbob 06-10-2014 06:58 AM

I did during the build, and the engine runs great, but I need to pull the seats out and get the valve cover off and take a look. It might require an adjustment.

x-bird 06-10-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbob (Post 41877)
Still cant get my temp sensor to work, guess I'll have to check the wire to the sensor, which unfortunately is shrink tubed and zip tied.

Reset the vapor with the 3 button hold, run the engine til it's at normal operating temps. it HAS to be over 100 degrees. then do the 2-button reset.

wildbob 06-13-2014 09:22 AM

Pulled the seat and valve cover off to check valve adjustment. seemed ok, but re-did it to make sure at .004". Oil flow to the head is good, as I found out by cranking the motor with the valve cover off :biglaugh:.. Guess I'll have to pull the jug and look for physical indications and throw a spacer or extra gasket in if it looks too close. The motor runs awesome however, so it might just be a clearance issue. Hopefully, nothing is too banged up. I do have a 4V piston in there but it's a high compression piston, so that might add to the clearance problem. It's just odd that I didn't hear it until I had hit the trails a bit. As for the vapor still cant get the temp to stay up, but until I feel safe to run the motor longer, it'll have to wait. Rain all weekend, so I guess it's no loss to tear it down.. I'd post a short video of it running if I could, so you hear it yourselves, but don't think I can..

wildbob 06-26-2014 12:37 PM

Top end and CVT looked good. I guess the noise was was my imagination..unless its in the crank area.. Temp reading on the vapor turned out to be a bad sensor. I had to replace it since I forgot to detach it from the motor when I pulled it to inspect..tore it off. Plugged a new one in a temp came right up.

jmansracerocket 10-01-2014 08:26 PM

I know its a old thread but how is that 4 valve head combo treating you wildbob

wildbob 10-02-2014 08:18 AM

I love it..