BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tomberline Crossfire 150r smoking, other weird issues? (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5047)

BakedPotoato 07-02-2014 06:48 PM

Tomberline Crossfire 150r smoking, other weird issues?

Hi, I have a Tomberline Crossfire 150r. Its started smoking late last year. I do not know a lot about engines... The smoke is blueish and always comes out whether it is warmed up or not. It goes through oil quickly. Also, it doesn't stay running when I stop quickly. I have to brake lightly to keep it running at a stop. When I start it back up, the cranking from the starter/ignition moves the go kart forward until it starts. When I'm on a slope, it has a hard time starting. Also, when it stops and I need to go into reverse, the lever becomes hard to pull and I can't get it all the way into the reverse position unless I get out and push it back and forth a little. Its also very hard to push when not running. I think that's all of the problems...

Thanks for the help

TheFauxFox 07-02-2014 07:30 PM

I'm not the best with the engine problems (just wait for the other guys to get here) but I think your stopping quickly problem might be a result of the carb float level being off, whenever you stop and the fuel in the fuel bowl sloshes around I'm thinking that it might end up not feeding the engine and therefore going kaput.

just my $0.02

good luck!

Masteryota 07-02-2014 08:16 PM

Ok, lets start with the smoke. The blue smoke is for sure oil. You might have a broken oil control ring. Time to invest in a new piston kit and have the cylinder checked and possibly bored out by a reputable machine shop. Shouldn't be more than ~$150. This would be my first priority. Search youtube for GY6 cylinder removal for instructions, they are very simple to work on.

As for the moving at idle and cranking, take a look at your CVT weights on the drive pulley(attached to engine) for debris or worn out weights. Sounds like it isn't disengaging properly. Likely going to need a set of sliders and a good cleaning.

The reverse issue may be related to the CVT, so start there and recheck it. The CVT needs to be in neutral for everything to mesh correctly and fall into gear.

Welcome, BTW, and take a look at our distributors here for deals on parts. Tom with SYC powersports can do your machine work if you don't know/trust locals.

zman007007 07-03-2014 08:31 PM

welcome to the site. where you from?

BakedPotoato 07-03-2014 08:43 PM

Southern Indiana

jmansracerocket 07-03-2014 10:59 PM

masteryota hit it on the dot. I to would look into a new cylinder, piston and ring kit, I bought mine I believe for $50 bucks and that included new gaskets. If u plan on keeping the buggy for some yrs and its one u desire then I would look into an engine build just depends how much $ u want to spend either way the blue smoke isn't going to stop.

bear 07-06-2014 09:50 AM

Welcome to the site "tater" I"m just north of cincy myself, let me know if I can Help! p.s. Prostock performance over in Miamitown, Ohio is an honest place to get work done that you feel you can't handle urself!