BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Baja 150 (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5634)

matt.green164 12-12-2015 03:59 PM

Baja 150

I am new to the site. I discovered site when someone gave me a Baja 150 that had been sitting for a couple of years. Cleaned Carb but couldn't get spark. Your threads helped me diagnose issue (lines from magneto was reversed to the CDI) and got kart to run. I have a couple issues and need some help.
1) Engine will only start if I use a little starter fluid. So I am wondering if that is the carb and I need to clean again?
2) I ran the kart the other day and getting some oil (smells like some gas in it) that comes into air filter box. Also when it runs, it feels like the engine never really runs to full throttle and is missing a little. So is this a fuel issue?

Traxman 12-13-2015 07:54 PM

Is the spark plug old? Also check your valve clearances cause my buggy was super hard to start and I set them both to .005 and now it cranks in 1 turn over.

matt.green164 12-13-2015 08:22 PM

Spark plug is new. I'll check clearance. Would that cause the blow-by as well?

Traxman 12-14-2015 11:43 PM

What do you mean by blow-by.

matt.green164 12-15-2015 05:23 AM

Oil in the air filter box.

I pulled off carb again and took apart the auto choke and it was fairly dirty. Hopefully that is the cause for not starting. I am going to check clearances tonight.

matt.green164 12-21-2015 08:02 PM

So I checked clearance and cleaned out auto choke. Go kart starts well but doesn't run well at full throttle. Starts to putter out under a load (i.e. on a hill) or as you accelarate. Almost seems like it isn't getting enough fuel. Only vacuum hose from carb looks ok. Any ideas other than replacing carb?

OLDKID 12-22-2015 08:30 AM

Take the top off of your carb , take out diaphragm and slide , inspect .
Here's the fix . Remove needle from slide , find some very tiny washers , try three at first and place under head of needle to raise it in it's seat . Might need only two or one . Results in more fuel earlier at higher RPM . I have done this to three carbs with great results . AND YES THEY WERE 100% CLEAN , INCLUDING EMULSION TUBE . :cheers:

Miamieddie 12-28-2015 11:07 PM

After checking all the above mentioned if nothing, check inside your cvt. Look at your weights!!! Also replace your fuel filter, and spark plug cable. Get the orange one.

SYCARMS 12-29-2015 12:13 PM

Being a used buggy, a compression test should be done. If low it will never run well until corrected.

stanky98391 07-11-2016 11:48 PM

I just fixed this same bogging down under full throttle issue by putting in a smaller jet in the carb. Took it for a spin tonight and it runs a lot better. Check your spark plug, if it's black and oily then it's running too rich. But don't go too lean or you'll burn up your engine.

Big Rich 07-12-2016 12:25 AM

Sorry I missed this whole conversation (new guy myself), but for anybody else that stumbles upon this:

Those teeny tiny washers that Oldkid referred to can be found at Radio Shack. They come in a plastic bag with 4-5 different sizes for a couple bucks.

ShoeBoxLen 07-12-2016 03:10 PM

the carbs for these buggies are pretty inexpensive. around 20 bucks online. I don tknow if I would pull my hair out clening one several times rather than just swapping it out for a new one. I would replace the fuel lines and pull the tank and make sure its clean and debrise free. maybe even throw in a new fuel pump vacuum switch or whatever you want to call it which is maybe 10 bucks.