BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The million dollar question... Is it the Carburetor? (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329)

sgt_ic3m4n 12-02-2010 01:33 PM

The million dollar question... Is it the Carburetor?

:banghead:Hey gang how's it going?

I've got my GY6 ALMOST ALMOST running. I finally reached the point where I could go for a start and it was hard work. I killed the battery in about 20 minutes. This morning I went back outside to give it another go and it started! However (comma) it would only run for about 10 seconds! Then if I held the throttle down about half-way, it would start and run (at high rev, because the throttle was depressed) for about 15 seconds. It will shut off every time. I have ordered a new carburetor because this thing was neglected and was sitting in some dudes back yard or field for who knows how long. I just wanted to pose the question on here to see if maybe it could be something else. The new carburetor should be here in about a day or two, and I'll be putting it on as soon as it comes in! Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Kev:biglaugh:

BuggyMaster 12-02-2010 05:27 PM

sounds like a carb issue. In most cases, you can clean these carbs but on the other hand a new carb is relatively cheap. I guess you'll find out shortly!

ckau 12-02-2010 07:31 PM

if you ordered the carb from one of the scooter sites or off E-bay, chances are the jetting may be wrong for your buggy. Make sure your save the main and pilot jets from the old carb.

olderthan 12-02-2010 07:59 PM

while you are waiting for the new carb to arrive pull the old one clean the jets-when you
get thru run a bread tie[strip off paper] thru jets to be sure their clean i hold up to light also. then try it again. if this cures it great- if not you will probaly need the jets for the
new carb

sgt_ic3m4n 12-03-2010 05:25 AM

Excellent advice fellas, thanks! I did clean the old carb already, but it was WAAAAY gummed up and rusty and everything else. I'm telling you, this thing was sitting in a field somewhere for at least 3 years! I just pulled it last night and set it outside in preparation for the new one, but I will retrieve it today and pull the jets out of it and retain them. I think the old brittle diaphragms and all the rust and everything have "bricked" this old carb. I did get a new one from eBay for $10! Can't beat it right!? But thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kev

dcleland2003 04-18-2011 12:25 AM

i picked up a used redcat atv for my 8 year old boy. 2 days of putting band aids on inferior parts,ie harness connectors, etc, it fired up today...runs well til choke comes off, then falls on its face...think 1 size richer jets

BuggyMaster 04-18-2011 07:02 AM

I'd say your main jet circuit is clogged. Runs good under choke because it is being given the fuel that it needs. Close off choke and with a plugged main jet passage it can no longer get the fuel. Clean your carb.

GX150 04-18-2011 05:38 PM

Or you have an intake leak...