BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2004 Talon 150cc popping at WOT (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4736)

Talon12 12-19-2013 12:53 PM

2004 Talon 150cc popping at WOT

3 Attachment(s)
I posted this in another post but I thought I may need to post it in a new one so it will be seen,

I have a talon 150cc and I have replaced the following items.

Carb
intake
air box
stator 8 pole
fly wheel
rectifer
coil
plug
fuel pump
adjusted valves

and it still pops when you floor it. If you drive it a half throttle it runs good and smooth, if you mash the pedel to the floor it starts breaking up and will not accellerate. You have to back off to part throttle.

I ordered a CDI but I had to order a waring harness adapter and I am waiting on it to come in so I can use the new CDI. It has oval plugs where my factory wire has sqare plugs. Both are AC cdi's.

Any ideas if I am chasing the correct thing? Hope to find out what is causing this soon. Buggy cranks right up and idles great. Will run great until you go pass half throttle....I even pulled the new carb off and checked the jets to make sure they are not plugged....It is not the carb....where to look now? Or am Im on the right track? Here is a picture of the cdi I have. The orange one is the new one and the black one is the factory one. And the wiring harness is what I had to get to make it a plug and play installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Talon12 12-21-2013 02:25 PM

OK GUYS LISTEN UP.......got the wiring harness adaptor today, we have been riding it around this morning and of corse it was popping and would not accelerate pass half throttle. But the mail ran and I got the harness, Grabbed the new CDI and went an installed it. Cranked it back up.....which is good....glad it started....and my son took it on a test drive again....

IT RUNS LIKE A SCALDED ASS APE!!!!! it runs so good now I cant believe that was what was wrong.

REMEMBER....a bad CDI can still start and still run but can cause high speed popping under load. It took for a little time and money but she is running now and he is having fun again!!!!

TheFauxFox 12-21-2013 03:26 PM

Good to know, and great for you!

Have fun!

And quick question, what the hell is a scalded ass ape? :p

Talon12 12-21-2013 05:10 PM

Nab you are frin Ga, you should know that saying :) but incase you dont it means fast. as if you scalded an ape with hot water.....he would move quickly.....:)

TheFauxFox 12-21-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talon12 (Post 38618)
Nab you are frin Ga, you should know that saying :) but incase you dont it means fast. as if you scalded an ape with hot water.....he would move quickly.....:)

I assumed so, and actually, I'm from south FL and my parents are from MA and NY so we wouldn't know. I've only been livin here for 7 years...only... lol

Masteryota 12-21-2013 06:00 PM

I thought that expression was 'runs like a raped ape'? Anything bad enough to do that, you better move!

TheFauxFox 12-21-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteryota (Post 38621)
I thought that expression was 'runs like a raped ape'? Anything bad enough to do that, you better move!

LMAO! That's just sick (in some sort of screwed up funny way)

Talon12 12-23-2013 09:38 AM

yep I was trying to use the less offensive slang....LOL

2SlickNick 12-23-2013 10:38 AM

What ever happened to running like a bat out of hell?

TheFauxFox 12-23-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SlickNick (Post 38639)
What ever happened to running like a bat out of hell?

IKR? :p

Talon12 12-24-2013 05:18 PM

well we still use it to. 3 days ago it was 79 degree's, today it got to 43.....so it is "cold a monkey nuts outside today." just another one for you northern guys!!! :)

Masteryota 12-24-2013 06:54 PM

I know what you mean, we were sweating arses off in the shop yesterday, and today guys were bundled like it was seb-zero. There is another saying we use for the cold, but its not really pg-13, lol.

x-bird 12-24-2013 09:32 PM

we got the "witch's _it" cold tonight bringing us the white stuff again. I'm glad to see it, rained all day yesterday and wiped just about all of the 12 inches we got last week.

Masteryota 12-24-2013 10:22 PM

and the brass bra, lol. This will be the first x-mas I won't be wearing shorts in over a decade.

SYCARMS 12-25-2013 10:28 AM

Three days ago it was 77 degrees then come the storms and Tornado's. Went out side this morning and it was only 24 degrees, you couldn't drive a needle up my a$$ with a sledge hammer.:banana::banana:

Talon12 12-28-2013 02:37 PM

Lol....heard that one before

Miamieddie 12-30-2013 12:01 PM

Well...... I've learned about different sayings here and that the CSI can cause popping noise after half throttle. Gotta love this site. :)

Miamieddie 12-30-2013 12:02 PM

Cdi.