BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help With 150cc Exhaust Manifold (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Mac 09-17-2015 06:21 PM

Help With 150cc Exhaust Manifold

I was recently doing some CVT work and while i was re installing the exhaust pipe, one of the studs broke off about half way. enough to where you cant get a nut on there anymore.

its hard for me to tell as i have little XP with these smaller engines, but are the studs replaceable? i tried using a pair of vise grips and seeing if i could un screw the piece still in the manifold but no luck, i thought either i was not approaching it right or they probably are NOT replaceable.

in which case what are some opinions on ways to tackle this situation. obviously it could just be a sign to do a BB Kit but i will only do that if i have no other option than to replace the manifold.

its in a tight space, or my first thought was to cut it at the base and then tap it and use a bolt instead of the other way around, but i cant get my dremel in there, its too awkward.

thanks in advance, btw the buggy model is a tao tao atk 150 c , i looked at the parts site for tao tao but i couldnt even find the manifold for my buggy.

wildbob 09-18-2015 10:29 AM

Every one I've seen was replaceable. Might have to head to the hardware store/autozone/etc to get a extractor. Good to have in the tool chest anyway. Either way put some bolt PB Blaster or some other bolt losener on that bad boy. I think I got an extractor for around $15 or so at autozone or napa...

Mac 09-18-2015 12:22 PM

ok awsome, i think i have an extractor if not i'll pick one up if i need it..

i'm gonna try the PB on it and let it sit for a lil bit then try again first.

last question, is there any disadvantage to replacing the bolt and nuts to just one way bolt? i was thinking i could get a better quality bolt instead of trying to just replace to stock.

thanks again!

OLDKID 09-18-2015 12:56 PM

With space limitations I don't know how you would drill a perfectly centered hole into a 1/4" stud . Easy outs usually break , then your really SCREWED as they're impossible to drill out = no chance of drilling & tapping to next bigger size . There are many replacement stud kits available . MAKE SURE THEY ARE TRULY GRADE EIGHT OR BETTER ! I'm SURE SCYARMS CAN HOOK YOU UP . A bolt might protrude into you inner workings . It might have had Locktite , etc. applied . GENTLY!!! heat surrounding area , and grab it with a BRAND NEW !!! set of QUALITY vice grips . It'll come out . Not to much heat , Patience .

OLDKID 09-18-2015 12:58 PM

Sorry about that , misspelling, SYCARMS .

Mac 09-26-2015 12:35 PM

I got everything replaced..

ended up going to harbor freight and getting this little $25 variable speed dremel tool, cut the bolts about 1/8 inch from the base where metal was thicker and then cut slits in each for a flat head screw driver.

Iactually had to use a small butane torch for about 30 secs on each, tthat's what loosened them up but making the slits for the flat head was how I ended up doing it.

the replacement studs I got came with a new gasket ring too all for like $5 on ebay and they are way stronger material u can just tell by sheer weight

Mac 09-26-2015 12:38 PM

Oh I should add that I also got a pack of diamond cutting blade for it, they are way smaller in circumference and stronger, I did run into an over heating problem where one of the posts that the blade attaches too broke in half from pressure + heat build up, so I recommend taking it slower

wildbob 09-26-2015 03:58 PM

Right on!!!

Mac 09-26-2015 04:43 PM

Hell ya, and funny enough, there was this really annoying sound that came from the back end that I could never pin down, fixed that %100

Now I just gotta keep playin with my main jet size... I live at 8800 ft elevation so it's getting tricky