BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Headlights for go kart (http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433)

delatorre85 11-30-2009 09:54 PM

Headlights for go kart

I have a Murray go kart which runs on a 6.0 hp Tecumseh power sport pull cord engine with no battery. How do I install headlights?:banghead:

BuggyMaster 11-30-2009 10:37 PM

I don't think that's going to fly on a Tecumseh. A lot of engines actually have a generator setup on them. In fact, even most of the generic honda clones do but not the old tecumsehs as a general rule. HOWEVER...I did have one that did have the generator circuit on it. Do you have any wires coming out anywhere?

joshstep1 11-30-2009 10:46 PM

My old manco didn't have a generator on it. So, I put a lawn mower style battery on it and wired a 2 way switch to 2x 55w halogens, man they were bright. Then, I just recharged the battery every few weeks with a regular car battery charger.

delatorre85 11-30-2009 11:55 PM

I dont see any wires sticking out. Would they be inside the engine? I saw a similar go kart with an after market lighting system that hooked up directly to the engine. The owner said his son hooked it up and couldn't give me any info. If I cant find the wires, then I will just go with the lawn mower battery set up. Thanks for the info guys...

joshstep1 12-01-2009 06:33 AM

If you go with the battery idea, don't flip your buggy, otherwise battery acid will leak from it. I did that a few times.

BuggyMaster 12-01-2009 06:46 AM

The wires would be coming out the end of the engine that faces your back seat. Only one we had with those wires on a Tecumseh had the yellow engine cover (part that your pull start is attached to). Not likely that you have them though.

24evanwilson 12-01-2009 04:18 PM

my battery almost broke into pieces when we flipped the helix lol

foxracer45 12-01-2009 05:17 PM

oh you poor thing lol, when i had my party it ripped the wires and i found it in the middle of the lot lol, about 100' away. i hate soldering........

joshstep1 12-01-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24evanwilson (Post 4043)
my battery almost broke into pieces when we flipped the helix lol

How do you almost break your battery?!!?

24evanwilson 12-01-2009 06:46 PM

it got banged up while rolling

wrapping up and sloshing around

joshstep1 12-01-2009 06:47 PM

That's not good.

24evanwilson 12-01-2009 06:49 PM

it was ok though lol

24evanwilson 12-01-2009 06:51 PM

then it wouldnt hold charge....

slaizure 03-01-2010 04:51 AM

i have a little 6.5hp pull start motor with a electirc start switch can i wire ligths or a batt in to it

SYCARMS 03-01-2010 11:23 AM

If you have electric start you should already have a battery. You would only be able to run about 15-20 watts combined dur to a small charging system which is only for quick charge to the battery after starting. TOM

bugsy5 07-14-2011 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuggyMaster (Post 4001)
I don't think that's going to fly on a Tecumseh. A lot of engines actually have a generator setup on them. In fact, even most of the generic honda clones do but not the old tecumsehs as a general rule. HOWEVER...I did have one that did have the generator circuit on it. Do you have any wires coming out anywhere?

Afternoon everyone, as a newer go kart owner looking to learn as much as possible and make some upgrades to a used kart I just bought, I joined the forum and found this thread. I have a smaller kart than y'alls with a clone engine, a Central Machinery 6.5hp made by Harbor Freight Tools. I do have a couple of wires unused as noted in the above quote. I'd like to run some headlights, a tail light and a stereo. I realize that not all of these will run off of the engine's generator circuit. What kind of amperage will the engine put out? Do I try to use whatever power the engine will give me and supplement with a battery or just run it all off of a battery? If I run anything off of the engine's generator, that will increase the workload of the engine right? I don't plan on doing enough with the kart to flip it but will be installing a rollbar and keeping the warnings about a flipped kart with a battery in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

SYCARMS 07-14-2011 04:46 PM

I have one of those 6.5 and mine does not have a charging system. Are you sure it has a charging system. It should tell you somewhere in the booklet that come with the engine.

TOM

SYCARMS 07-14-2011 05:42 PM

I also want to add that some 6.5 from harbor freight did come with charging systems but they will not drive anything over a 15 watt bulb for long before burnning up. As posted previously use a mower battery and run the lights off the battery.

TOM

metalstudman1 07-14-2011 08:11 PM

I want to know - why or how can you listen to tunes while driving a kart/buggy? I'm constantly listening to the engine and kart/buggy for strange noises to prevent potential carnage. Isn't the purr of the engine and the sound of gears/chain turning not enough?!!!!!!

SYCARMS 07-15-2011 02:51 AM

My feelings exactly, would rather lister to the purr of the engine or in the case of buggies roar.

TOM

bugsy5 07-15-2011 08:12 PM

Thamks for the quick repsonses; I kinda figured on running things off of a battery. I'll have to check the purpose of that wire hanging out of the engine but I was able to a pdvf of the engine manual and didn't find anythg about a generator. I hear y'all on the joys of buggyin to loud engines but thot a few tunes would be cool to have, some old throwdown stereo.

jellybeanbandit1 07-22-2012 04:27 PM

that extra wire that hangs out of the motor is a kill switch wire. you need a toggle switch wired to that and you should get that extra wire and screw it to the motor with one of the screws near the wire.

cuzn246 07-22-2012 07:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A picture of a Tecumseh Power Sports pull start I recently replaced with a Harbor Freight 212cc engine. It had a couple of lights on the roll cage, but were not wired up any more, and I didn't check them out.

Superman 07-22-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalstudman1 (Post 15524)
I want to know - why or how can you listen to tunes while driving a kart/buggy? I'm constantly listening to the engine and kart/buggy for strange noises to prevent potential carnage. Isn't the purr of the engine and the sound of gears/chain turning not enough?!!!!!!

While I agree with you that listening to the buggy is fun and even helpful I had a lot of fun putting in my headphones when I was trying to really tear it up (set the record for the track). Proven fact music can increase your concentration.

To each their own and I think you had to be able to not let the music distract you. For me it jumps "amps" me up and I push harder.

staplesgokart 09-22-2012 03:32 PM

I have a predator 7hp small engine from Harbor Freight. I have a few different wires sticking out of the front of the motor right behind the seat. I want to wire in a few headlights. Is there any way to do this using those existing wires or should I get a battery and charge it every so often?

Thanks in advanced.
Mike

SYCARMS 09-22-2012 03:54 PM

I don't believe the motor you have has any charging system on it. You would have to have a battery that will run the lights and charge it when not in use. The battery size will be determined by the wattage of the lights.

x-bird 09-22-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesgokart (Post 27769)
I have a predator 7hp small engine from Harbor Freight. I have a few different wires sticking out of the front of the motor right behind the seat. I want to wire in a few headlights. Is there any way to do this using those existing wires or should I get a battery and charge it every so often?

Thanks in advanced.
Mike

Stat the buggy and connect a voltmeter to ground and a wire and check for dc voltage. the wires may be part of a kill circuit, an oil level sensor/shutoff or a generator type setup. no way to know until you test them.

BTW, I used to race bmx with my sony walkman hidden under my shirt and the headphones in my helmet .... Nothing like the opening lead of starship trooper to get you out of the gate quickly ... :banana: ahh the late 70s ....

Miamieddie 01-23-2013 06:02 AM

Hi everyone im new here , been here one time only back in november.. when you say lawnmower bbattery you mean like the 12 volt battery that comes with most mini buggys with lights?? like my baja 150 ?...Eddie.

Miamieddie 01-23-2013 06:18 AM

Onemore thing i have 22 watt light bulbs on my buggy, if i want brighter lights without messing around with stator, flywheel,etc. can i just get 22watt led bulbs, or is it more to it then that??... Eddie

bear 01-23-2013 06:33 AM

Yep

Welcome back! #1 yes the batteries are basically the same, #2 yes you could just change to the led's with no other mod needed!

Miamieddie 01-23-2013 07:00 AM

thanks

Thanks for a quick reply.. and it will be much brighter??

SLESTAK75 01-23-2013 08:34 AM

Thought this might be a good place for this question. My buggy sat outside for almost a year. I've beengoing through it and getting everything back in order. I've noticed that when idling if I turn the lights on it really drops the rpm's. I don' t remember it doing this before but it might have. Is this normal or do I need to start looking the wiring over for a slight short?? The lights don't seem dim and they don't get brighter when you rev it up. It also doesn't seem to have any drag on the power with the lights on.

Miamieddie 01-23-2013 08:47 AM

Leaving ur buggy out in the elements will cause corrosions on electrical components, try storing it in a shed,garrage, or cover it real good with a tarp. with that said, check all electrical connections,harnesses, for corrotion, or loose fitting,make sure its clean and tight, battery is charged up to par...Eddie

SYCARMS 01-23-2013 10:32 AM

First check you battery voltage, then check again with engine running and again with lights turned on. Also note the voltage at idle as well at high rpm. Post those figures and we can tell you if its normal. Could be that your overcharging.

SLESTAK75 01-23-2013 12:05 PM

Had no choice on leaving it out. I had to leave the state in a hurry for a job and didn't have time to tie up loose ends. At some point my parents covered it for me. Thanks Tom for the rundown. I'll need to see if I can borrow a meter from my brother and check. I'll have a look at all the connections... For now I can just ride with the lights off. The only place I have to ride at the moment is through the neighborhood so I liked having the lights on.

zman007007 01-24-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLESTAK75 (Post 29943)
Had no choice on leaving it out. I had to leave the state in a hurry for a job and didn't have time to tie up loose ends. At some point my parents covered it for me. Thanks Tom for the rundown. I'll need to see if I can borrow a meter from my brother and check. I'll have a look at all the connections... For now I can just ride with the lights off. The only place I have to ride at the moment is through the neighborhood so I liked having the lights on.

hey slestak, just so you know if you dont have a meter of your own you can purchase these things from Harbor Freight stores if you have one close to you, and if not you can order one online there. they are very cheap, and pretty well made. we have several at work. zman :biggthumpup:

zman007007 01-24-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLESTAK75 (Post 29943)

hey we are friends here, you can tell us why you left the state in a hurry. LOL :rofl:

SLESTAK75 01-24-2013 07:29 PM

I can't say.....................They're watching everything I do. I'm risking everything just telling you this.

SLESTAK75 01-24-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman007007 (Post 29980)
hey slestak, just so you know if you dont have a meter of your own you can purchase these things from Harbor Freight stores if you have one close to you, and if not you can order one online there. they are very cheap, and pretty well made. we have several at work. zman :biggthumpup:

I have several meters myself but I am between houses and nearly all of my belongings are in a storage building 150 miles away. So I'm hesitant to buy things I know I have. My brother is a mechanic and I can get most anything I need. No problems there.

SYCARMS 01-24-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLESTAK75 (Post 29982)
I can't say.....................They're watching everything I do. I'm risking everything just telling you this.

Wittness protection program aey:banana:

bear 01-25-2013 07:28 AM

covert!!!

Think about it guy's, he's in Roanoke, Va., has to be some kind of Gov. covert affair!!!:cool:

SYCARMS 01-25-2013 07:48 AM

You mean like black helicopter and all ?

Miamieddie 01-25-2013 10:53 AM

Lol guys !!!!!!

bear 01-25-2013 03:42 PM

ssshhh!!!

Quiet, big brother is always watching:eek:

SYCARMS 01-25-2013 03:49 PM

Funny how we haven't heard comment from SLESTAK75 . We might be on to something.

xlint89 01-25-2013 04:47 PM

Way to go guys. You just blew his cover. :blackeye:

SLESTAK75 01-25-2013 06:02 PM

Whew!! I barely got away. I only have a few minutes to comment before they find me. You guys have it all wrong. If I had to get away for whatever reason my buggy wouldnt have been ledt behind in the weather........I would have used it to get away.

SYCARMS 01-25-2013 06:38 PM

Glad that's cleared up

bear 01-26-2013 12:04 PM

Or is it a decoy!!!? dum-de-dum!

GTPETE 09-03-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshstep1 (Post 4004)
My old manco didn't have a generator on it. So, I put a lawn mower style battery on it and wired a 2 way switch to 2x 55w halogens, man they were bright. Then, I just recharged the battery every few weeks with a regular car battery charger.

I agree as this is the simplest option on a basic kart. I'm actually going to put a trickle charger on the side of the battery as well to plug in whenever i can so i dont need to pull out jumper cables. Will be posting pics soon